Zero Off for "old" boats

PT Mike

My 85 does just fine without. Providing you can find someone who knows how to drive, not just steer. That being said, I have been out with plenty of people who could benefit from welding the rudder in a straight line, as they would at least be predictable to other boaters, let alone the skier they're trying to tow.

• Baller

I've been researching this some.

The new boats with ZO use an e-control computer. The older boats use delphi MEFI. My 99 Response has MEFI4 that is throttled by cable. From what I understand with inboardfix.com Nautique kit you install an e-control computer with a new wiring harness and hook the throttle cable to a potentiometer to convert to Drive By Wire (DBW).

There was some legal agreement that PP would take the older boat and ZO the newer boats. The company that make ZO is e-controls. But, before the agreement - my ski partner with the 2008 MC ps197 has both PP and ZO. He thinks that it has a MEFI5 computer, so if that's the case ZO communicated with MEFI at some point. Are the parts still available?

Other thought I had. So may 99 response has a GM vortec 5.7L 325Hp. The Excalibur 5.7 330hp. The intake for the Excalibur should bolt on to any Small block GM with Vortec heads. The similar hp ratings so the Cam and compression ratios should be the close to the same. So could I buy the intake and throttle body used on the Excalibur 5.7 and get inboardfix's kit and put ZO on my 99 Response? There's also DBW gm auto intake that could be purchased for cheap used that might work as well?

Anyone else thought about this? If so let me know might be next winter's project.

• Baller
A person could probably convert any e-control convertible type engine to ZO. That engine would have to have all of the required compatible sensors monitored by the ECU. If a sensor was missing I suppose you could modify and add it. The real question though is how much time and money do you want to throw at it to figure it out? It doesn't take much to make swapping engines cheaper. Seems to me one of our MN guys tried to convert a 99 or so Malibu Response but was not successful.

• Baller

I can now install zero off in 2006 mastercraft boats with the mcx motor if you have our know of someone with a 2006 thats wents ZO installed my contact info is cell 909 -223-4427 or e-mail rip39off@aol.com

Doug

@Doug here on BOS. @thager @alex38 Think this is the guy. I haven't talked to him.

• Baller
Thanks @Shaneh. E-controls is the limiting factor then that's to bad tuning software for MEFI is pretty common. Not sure about E-controls. My friends MC is a 2008 TT 197 that was a promo boat. I've never seen him use the PP, pretty much just plugging a hole in the dash right now.

• Baller

Hmmm, I'm thinking about a V6 ZO engine for the 79 American Skier. Another project?!

Aircraft are often reengineing or retrofitting the powerplants. My Cessna is on its third engine- and the current engine is an upgrade from the original. I had several other options as well. Of course airplanes are a bit different - my 1978 210 is not considered old.

Eric