Minimum Lake Length

doonez

Just been looking at some of the local lakes which are closer to us than the place we currently ski and have been wondering what is the absolute minimum length required for a 6 turn course? That includes time for the boat to get up to speed etc. We would be prepared to, as the skier, almost even beach start at each end. On the EZ-Slalom site they recommend at least 1600ft. There is one very close by that is just over 1400ft from end to end is this long enough? Any thoughts appreciated!

• Baller

Can you give the address and/or coordinates of the lake? So it can be found on Google Earth, and measured accurately? When the Tour went to 4 Bears Park near Detroit, we had 1430 feet to work with. I proposed an overlapping "8-buoy" design, but the Tour decided to go with just a 4-buoy course. The "8-buoy" design is 2: 6-buoy courses with short shutdown room and effectively 41 more meters lineup room at each end. Kris LaPoint's new Orlando site has that design, in 1590 feet of shore-shore room, but has a turnout at one end.

Autores' lake in Wantage, NJ is a tournament site, and they ski in about 1300 feet of room. However, they have turnouts at each end. And a unique arrangement of 2 separate 6-buoy courses overlapping by 1 1/2 buoys or 61.5 meters. A cluster of 44 buoys on the water. The very minimum I've ever seen is a 4-buoy course in about 1050 feet at the old Marine World in Redwood City, CA.

• Baller

Under 1,600, you have to start thinking 8-buoy course. If there is adequate room to throw a botton hook turn at each end, this would allow you to stop right after the gates then startup going away for the course to build speed faster. Sounds like you would be ok going this route at over 1400. @OB can tell you exactly how much you need, or go on Google Ski Sites and look at his setup at Waterski Atlanta.

To me, an 8-ball course is not even on the list as a negative, other things like shoreline slope, ability to retain water, weeds, etc., term of contract, legal issues, would all be much higher. As well as how much closer it is.

• Baller

For Waterski Atlanta, go to: 3870 Redwine Road SW, Atlanta GA 30331.

Good clear view of Google Earth; you can even see the buoys. And, it is apparently an "8-buoy" course there. In a relatively comfortable length shore to shore along the SL course centerline of about 1730 feet.

• Baller

Cindonway Shores in northern Indiana is 1610' from shore to shore with a full 6 buoy course. There are turn islands on both ends and you start up going away from the course and make a u-turn around the island. It works for 55 & 58kph. Much shorter and it would be a challenge.

• Baller

Another site that comes to mind is the Precedent Office Park, which is located North of Indianapolis. There have been several Tour and other events in the Indy area, starting back with the Tour Finals in 1986 on the White River downtown. And then another site, finally settling on the Precedent. Anyway, the SL was contested on a full 6-buoy course in just a little over 1600' of room along one shore. Could have gained a good bit of distance in that lake by angling the course away, but it worked as originally set up. No turn islands, and with the boat having to approach turning counterclockwise into the skier at one end. Short rideout for jumping also.

The events happened while the office park was still under development, and so there was plenty of room for the land setup at the time. Looks like it is now full of tenants.

One surprising aspect of the site was how good the water conditions were with a shoreline slope that was something like 3:1. But, it was riprap rock. At one of the events, both Andy Mapple and Jamie Beauchesne had to run off for first place after both had run a full 39 and then into 41off in the Finals.

• Baller
My lake is right at 2,000, and I ski in two other lakes around 1,700, and I really feel rushed after getting up. I also ski in another lake that is pushing 2,300, with islands, and that seems like a little long.

Here is the address,

Long Range Lake, Blackhead, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

It is about five minutes away vs. the current 40 minutes. No boat ramp but one could probably bull doze a dirt one. We would always be the only boat on it obviously!

• Baller
Surprisingly enough, Google Earth brings up a relatively clear view. See attached. Length is around 1600 ft. along the yellow line, but it looks like there may be trees or similar growing in the lake at the NorthEast end. At the South end, maybe you could even start out of that leg of water for a better approach.

• Baller

Anything in Hawkes Bay is worthwhile! Used to travel there 3-4 times a year for work. If I knew there was a chance to ski there I would have carried my ski with me! Still have several good friends there!

@doonez I'd come survey the course for you for a bottle of Craggy Range Syrah! I need to find a way back there. Been too long.

@klindy oh you need to come over again! Come and see your friends and maybe go for a tour of nz. We would be happy to give you a couple of days skiing at the local (purpose built) lake and a bottle of your Craggy Range Syrah at the end of the day!

• Baller
Ed, thanks for the course set up at Lapoint Ski Park in Orlando! We love the lake and the course is skiing great. We have had no complaints about the short lake, and have had guest from all over the country, including Nate Smith, Will Asher, KC Wilson, Jon Travers, Bob Lapoint and more. If anyone is interested in getting a set let me know, we are providing sets for $30. Call me at 330 283-2599 or check out lapointskipark.com

• Baller

Hi

Nyköpings has a rather short lake.

They had to dig a U-turn in each end.

One can see the small islands in each en just a bit on google maps.

Just skied there twice.

- One has to stop just before 55m boat gates.

- Start right into the U-turns.

- Pull out directly after the U-turns.

Lake is approx 5 feet deep.

When I fall I can reach the bottom almost anywhere in the coarse.

That might help you?!?

Nyköpings VattenSkidKlubb (WaterSkiClub.... similar wording -now you can understand Swedish ;o)

http://www4.idrottonline.se/nykopingsvsk-vattenskidor/

Zoomed in version:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=sv&geocode=&q=nyköping+vattenskidklubb&sll=58.774742,17.016191&sspn=0.024739,0.088577&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=nyköping+vattenskidklubb&hnear=&ll=58.795056,17.00013&spn=0.048759,0.056455

• Baller
To the poster 2 postings above: 300' before the 55's is equivalent to a lake length a little over 1800 feet. Should work with decent boat power and driving, including even starting pointing toward the course and going straight in. For some more time, the boat could start pointing away and get up to plane then turn in. While hopefully not whipping your skier onto shore.

• Baller
Unless my calculations are wrong(and I drink a lot so they really could be), a 8 buoy course is 1119 feet gate to gate. So you're problem is going to be based on minimum set down room. Figure out your set down room and work backwards to figure minimum lake length needed. Lonnie Harris said he ended up with a dogleg at each end at Quickset with a 6 buoy course at 1250 ft because an overlapping 8 buoy was actually too long to give set down room. Still the coolest place I've ever been to ski.

• Baller

@scotchipman measure Goodes lake in Ogden on Google Earth and you'll be pretty close. The turn buoy on the south end could just as well be an island. The north end could be a little shorter (from the old setup - I realize it's been dug out a bit now). Measure the distance from the buoy to the entrance gates from the south end (and the shore to the entrance gates) and measure the course. Course + 2x ends and that would probably be about it.

I assume you can see the course on the Google Earth file. If not, check back to an older file and they may be visible.

• Baller
Avon CT has a really short lake I think it is around 1600 feet and they go straight in or turn in. At 36 mph the boat is just hitting speed as you hit the entrance gates if you go straight in. They have skiers there that run into 39 off at 34 and 36 mph. I have only driven there not skied there and it takes a lot of attention to make sure you are lined up properly because there is no space for correction.

• Baller

The boat path on our lake is about 1,516', and we have a 6 buoy course. There's a drop ball near the 55s, and the boat spins left at each end after you get up. When the boat straightens out, be ready to pull out. When you turn 6, pull and go to drop ball. I find it good practice.

We had an 8 buoy at one point, and it made set ups easier, but the zero buoy caused some issues for some. I'm good with it either way.

• Baller
Looks like Goodes lake is about 1400' (+/-) from shore to shore with an 8 buoy course. The boat turning right into the course at each end is effectively the same as a turn island. So I'd say minimum lake length is somewhere between 1400-1500' shore to shore (assuming you can drive the boat reasonably close to the shore.

Look up quick set in canton ms. I believe his lake is 1200 ft bank to bank with dog legs at each end. Needless to say the 55's would be on the bank if it had any. It's so quick into the course the water hasn't run off your face and it's time to turn in for gates. You just take the whip of the boat turning and that's your pull out. You can ski a lot of sets there because you don't have time to get tired.

Whoa that looks short.

EZ Ed and I once trained on a lake outside of KC that was almost 1800 feet long but the lake owner capped us on how far down the lake we could drive the boat. He was weird and didn't want us getting to close to his house. Anyway we approx just under 1400 feet to work with and ran a four buoy course. We had JUST ENOUGH space to get my 90 Prostar up to 36mph before the 55 gates. It was a tight setup but close to home and a fun lake to ski on. Kinda miss it now that I think back!

• Baller
Quickset is awesome. Certainly unnerving at first. The whip out takes some getting used to. You just keep going straight and try not to add to what the boat gives you as it turns right. Then the second the skier goes through the exit gate the boat is turning again. It's a gas. Hopefully, Lonnie has his boat there when we're there in late June for the Big Dawg and I can give it a go again.

• Baller

@doonez I don't have any immediate plans to return to New Zealand, but after googling your ski pond in Waipukurau, my return is definitely imminent! What's the name of that lake?

Long Range Lake doesn't look any closer to Napier and certainly not as nice as the ski pond (in terms of skiability), but I get it. I am always on the search for a ski lake I can wake up to!

Do you all ski year round there?

It's pretty interesting to see how short some of these ski lakes are. The shortest lake I've skied at is The Broho. 2000' feet with turn islands certainly doesn't compete with the folks at Quickset!

Haha Backpaddock Lakes @jipster43. The reason I was interested in Long Range Lake is because it's only about 5 mins from our house vs. 35 to Backpaddock.

We try to ski all year round but winter skiing is hard to get enthusiastic about - especially when it's 9°c and all you have is a springsuit!

• Baller
I think the C lake at Trophy Lakes was a around 1650’ with a nice dog leg on one end (6 ball course). It was no problem once you figured out the pull out coming out of the dog leg. I actually miss those days. Only place I had the opportunity to ski, ride the boat up on the bank and watch a world record broke all in the same day. It will never be the same, man I wish we could relive those days again.