Mapple Shell

The_MS

• Baller_
Now with the back hardshell boot being cut up the way it is (as seen in @MattP's post link), does the liner come out with the foot or just the foot. Almost looks like if an odd angle occurred in a fall, coming out may not even happen.

• Baller
The wife and I are both on R style rear shells now. Really like them. Had several crashes last year and release was not a problem. The main bonus is that you can come out without breaking your front ankle on the way.

• Baller
My son uses the R style rear boot and wouldn't consider any other setup. We went to the Reflex/R-style rear setup a couple of years ago when he hurt his front ankle on another binding system. Releases have not been an issue.

• Baller
I have the R set up as well and really like it. In the 4 years I have had it I have never had trouble releasing from the front or rear binding. Because of back trouble I'm going to give a toe plate a shot so I can one leg start. Otherwise I would stick with the R.

its funny this thread comes up today. I tried the reflex & R shoe this morning. Did not like it at all - my back foot lifted too much even with the boot tight. So I'm sticking with my lovely comfy Powershell double boots, I want to run passes at this time of the season.

• Baller

London. I went from Powershells after breaking my front ankle in an OTF. I used Strada's for a year, which also allow you rear heal to lift, then went to the R style. It felt a little odd at first, but you will get used to it after a few sets if you stay with it. Unless you have taken the springy thing off the back of your powershells (I used to ) your heal is lifting now. You just don't feel it.

I REALLY didn't like the silver liner that came with the R style. I use an Intuition with a strap around the upper part. It feels like a normal boot with that liner set up which may be the most important thing perception wise.

My powershells were comfy as well. Right up until the snapping sound in my ankle. I am not saying there is a performance advantage to the R style, just safety in certain types of falls. Of course, it may never happen for you. I certainly hope not.