11 Year Old Neilly Ross Runs Out of Rope-Shortening Loops in Practice

SkiJay

• Baller

A couple of weeks ago, 11 year old Neilly Ross, ran her first 35 off (12 meters) in practice, then backed it up by doing it three more times before switching her focus back to tricks for the upcoming Jr. Masters. When I asked her coach, proud papa Drew Ross, if she tried -38, he said “She ran out of loops! The Masterline Youth mainline she trains with only has loops to 35 off.” Apparently the bionic Ross family is genetically predisposed to pushing beyond the limits of the sport’s expectations!

All this wonderful news has me eating crow though. Last fall, Neilly and I were both stuck at 4 balls at -35, so we made a bet. Whichever one of us ran -35 first got to sign the other’s ski with a silver Sharpie, and it has to stay there until the loser runs -35 too!

... I never thought gloating could look so cute!

Neilly%20Ross%20Autograph.jpg

btw, we were standing on some stairs for this photo and Neilly was standing one stair higher than me, so she sure didn't beat me with her strength or reach! =(

• Baller

Should not prevent her from using a similar "Junior" line in a tournament. If she runs out of loops, the Technical Controller can add them as needed. Just need to make them accurate. Happened occasionally back in the Old Days. For a runoff in Open Men at the 1977 Nationals, the Technical Controller had to run down to the dock 3 times to add loops.

The current Girls2 record is 5 at 11.25m, 52kph. Light towlines are not allowed for IWWF sanctioned Class L or R events, but that is probably moot for her for now.

• Baller

Sorry to go here, but... The committees at USAWS wanted to actually limit the "lightweight" tow ropes to fewer take off loops (last one being -32 off). The logic they applied was that any skier regardless of age or weight who is leaning sufficiently to run shorter than -32 off is putting enough load on the lightweight line such that it becomes a safety risk and therefore the skier must graduate to a standard tow rope.

In reviewing the current 2013 rules (8.04), I could not find anything which specifically limited the shortest takeoff loop on a lightweight tow rope. So, I guess if rope manufacturers are willing to construct one to spec, it can be used. The rule 8.04 E states that lightweight ropes cannot be used for R/L since IWWF does not recognize them as valid.

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/2013AWSARuleBook.pdf#page=28

• Baller
BTW - that pic is wonderful! I love her cute gloating! And I would not remove that autograph from that ski once you do run 35 @SkiJay. I'm sure Neilly will be a Skiing Hero in her water skiing career.

• Baller

@ToddL I think Drew has Neilly on an "intermediate" weight rope. It's half way between the super lightweight kid's rope and the cable the adults use.

And judging by the heartwarming show of support shared by so many ballers here, Neilly has already earned hero status in the skiing community. Not bad for an athlete who is so young she still prints her autograph!

• Baller
Interestingly, Drew used to make slalom lines as a teen for extra cash (not that I can imagine there was much of market for it...). I think I may still have a trick bridle he braided for me 25+ years ago. He's no stranger to a fid, I'm sure Neilly will get sorted out.

• Baller
As @Horton mentioned, as good as Neilly is on a slalom ski, she's even better on a trick ski. Right now, she's more focused on her tricking than her slalom in preparation for the Junior Masters this coming May 24th. 38 off is the last thing on her mind right now.