How many buoys are you hoping to progress this year?

Moggie

• Baller

2 Years ago I was basically running 15' OFF @ 34.2 MPH and an occasional lucky 22' OFF. Last summer I ran a handful of 35's, but really if I ran a 32' OFF I was DARN HAPPY. This year 35 seems to be my gimme. Practice PB of 2 @ 38' OFF 34.2 MPH and a Tournament PB of 5 @ 35' OFF 34.2 MPH (darn 5 score! and did it TWO TIMES IN THAT TOURNAMENT!!!!)

Today I ran a FULL PASS 33.7 MPH 38' OFF in an effort to try and figure out the gate and squeezed a 1/2 @ 39.5....... SO, I am hoping to advance an entire pass by the end of this year.

I know my gains are going to slow, but the last 2 years have been EPIC for me! Set your goal and be realistic about where you are and how much time and effort you are going to put into that extra ball.

• Baller
After 8 years off I want some good bites out of -35 this season... skied 12 sets so far and starting to run a few -28's but the body and winter is slowing my progress. Quest is making the job a lot easier I suspect..

• Baller

@ntx practice...

I went from 3@35-2@38 on the Prophecy. My practice average went up from 1.5-2@35 to 4@35.

My tournament scores only have gone up 1 or 1.5 buoys I think. Still yet to run 32.... Don't ask me why I have no idea. I have not skied that many rounds this summer and when I did there were some factors that I think kept my performance down. I still have a hand full of tournaments left so I will be hoping for the best.

• Supporting Member

I'm pretty damn pleased to have hit 0 in early August. I often peak in September, so +1 on practice best seems possible. This is a big buoy, because there's a huge difference between 1.5 and 2.5 on any shortline pass. So 2.5 @ -39 is far from in the bag, but seems sorta possible.

• Baller

My progress was severely hampered by a broken ankle in May, but I am only 1 buoy away from my practice best. We'll see how that manifests Itself at the next tournament in two weeks.

I've driven three PB's so far this year - I'm pretty stoked about that too.

• Baller

So, I was skiing with @Klundell and @tbrenchley today and witnessed an amazing thing. Nevermind the fact that both of these guys shred 38 at 36mph, but (drum roll please) I witnessed Kevin run a new PB today!!! 5 balls @ 39.5 off!!! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and he was so close to running the full pass!! The scream he let out could be heard across the valley! I am convinced he will run 39 before the end of the year.

The only disappointment of the day was that Tyler didn't grace us with his backslide!! Maybe next time.

• Supporting Member
@klundell 5 @ -39 is sweeeeet. Please start a thread about how you did that. Don't worry about patting yourself on the back -- I think I speak for just about everyone in saying a) we want to know all about it and b) we want to celebrate with you.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan. It is one thing to do it at 34, but watching you guys do this at 36 absolutely boggles my Mind!!!! You guys that ski at 36 have gone up 5 notches in my book.....and you were already way up High on the shelf!!!!

I got a late start to the season due to some politics at our club- started skiing in June. I decided to go with the mindset of having my only goal be to ski with better body position and let the buoys fall into place. It seems to be working, I've added a few mph to my -15 pass and rounded #6 at 32mph. More importantly, I grew old enough that 34 is my max speed so just a few more mph to go. Plus I look less ugly doing it (still ugly, just less ugly)

@Than_Bogan I'll start my own thread when it happens in a tournament. :) Or I hope to get some new video of my skiing to compare side by side. I have gotten way more consistent @38 and deeper into 39 then I was when I posted the video of myself and Nate side by side. Hopefully that will give us some better insight into what is really happening that has helped me improve.

• Supporting Member

@Brady and all you young guns: 36 is damn fast. It's really a world different from 34. I've greatly enjoyed both, but there can be no doubt that deep -39 at 36 mph is in a different league from deep -39 at 34 mph.

The gap closes a little at the insane short lines, but many interesting parameters in the course are proportional to the square of the boat speed, which perhaps helps explain why 2 mph is so different. 36^2 / 34^2 is about 1.12, so things like tensions and accelerations will tend to be about 12% more. When you're near your limits, 12% is a giant mountain.

• Baller
I don't think 18+ is too out of range for me this season. I started with a PB of 2 at 32 mph and have already bumped that up to 4 at 36 mph which already 14 buoys. With another 2 months left in the season I think it's reasonable I could get 3@-22

• Baller

I guess I started the year at zero. I'd been through a course a few times about 6-7 years ago with a full rope and a KD powercarve at maybe 25MPH - think I hit all 6 once. About 5 weeks ago I started to get the opportunity to ski a course once a week, and got a new ski. Made a couple complete 28MPH at 15 off, then sat did one at 30MPH @15 off followed by a crash at the 3 ball 32 @15 off.

Only have a couple more weeks left in my season, so I won't be greedy - but I'd like to see 4 balls 32MPH @15 off