New Skier - Looking for Advice

Davis_LK

• Baller

Hey all, looking for some feedback on my skiing. Unfortunately we don't have the course in yet so this is just a bunch of free skiing. Some information for perspective, I just started skiing last July and I am a weekend warrior as I can only get out at the cottage. Our time on the water is only early May to Mid-October so not a lot of time to learn. I took some pretty hard spills last year, particularly on my offside so this year I am starting with some real basic exercises. First few times out was just pull-out/lean drills. I have now started to incorporate some onside pulls through the wake.

Things I notice from watching myself: I'm not really getting the ski on edge through the wakes and letting up at wakes, handle is high although seem to keep my arms fairly straight. Looks like my weight is too far back which is something I've been trying to focus on fixing by consciously shifting weight to front leg however, that seems to go out the window when I turn in for crossing.

Other information: 67" Coeff X, 26 mph.

Sorry for the drawn out video (and post), I'm still learning the ropes on video editing so any tips/tricks/software(windows) is also much appreciated. Oh, and enjoy the nice OTF at the end - I was fine.

• Baller

I'd start by watching Rathbuns 12 slalom drills.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Water_Ski_Videos/12_Slalom_Drills_DVD/index.asp

This video, athough old, does a good job of describing basic body position and showing drills such as the lean drill you were doing, wake crossing drills, etc. The first thing to focus on is perfecting your body position, which is the core of this sport. You are lucky in that you have only been free skiing for a short amount of time. You haven't yet engrained bad habbits.

Try the leaning drill at about 18 mph. The slower you go, the more stacked you need to be to stay up. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

• Baller
Not sure where you are but if you could get some professional coach it really helps. I skied from age 7 to 19 before I found out about ski schools etc. I'm still fighting those bad habits 25 yrs later. Best to learn it right from the start.