Which length 9800 SL to choose

WylieSkier

I'm 6', around 160lb, run 34 mph and into 22 off sometimes. I'm considering a 65.75 or 66.5. My wife, who's a bit smaller than me will also be riding it occasionally. I think I'd prefer the 65.75 but I'm second guessing myself.

My last ski was a 9100, probably a 67, but maybe 66. I don't have it anymore and I can't remember. Any thoughts?

• Baller
65.5 FYI the 9800 was a good ski, the 9100 better in my opinion. At your ability level either ski will work fine. I say this because the 9800 had delamination issues. The 9100 is bullet proof. Either ski is a Great ski.

Thanks Rich. According to Goode (http://store.goode.com/9800sl-tournament-water-ski/) there is a 65.75...maybe it's misprinted.

Interesting comment about the 9100 being bullet proof. My brother in law somehow knocked a gash in the side of the ski during a big wreck going out the front...took a chuck out of him too. It didn't seem to affect the performance of the ski though.

• Baller

As long as it was on the top of the ski and didn't compremise the core too badly it shouldn't have a BIG impact on the ski. I would have put some bondo on it, painted it black and used the ski.

For whatever reason the core of the 9800 would delaminate from the skin, you could see a small bubble like issue on the bottom of the ski. When that happened the ski became junk. I had it happen to my 9800 and saw a few others have the same problem. The 9100, 9400, 9500 were all really great skis. No break downs for me on thoses skis.

Jeff Rogers still skis on the same 9100 he set the world record on in the mid 90's Ben Favret skied on his 9100 for 15 plus years before finally breaking it.

I still have my 9100 as a back up, I know I can pull that ski out and rip a 38 on it.

• Supporting Member
I broke my 9100 after a LOT less than 15 years. More like 5. One week I started getting terrible practice results, and then it just snapped in half on a take-off. That ski was freakin' awesome until then, though!

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm going to try a 9800 SL anyway. I found one that matches up exactly with the size and weight / height (AMP) that I was looking for. If it doesn't work for me, I'll try something else. My wife has been wanting her own ski anyway. Speaking of her, just wanted to give a shout out. She's my driver too, which is saying a lot. I've determined that slalom skiers are the pickiest bunch I've ever met. I'm a very laid back person, but something about getting in the boat flips a switch. She will pull me through the course, park the truck, whatever...knowing that I'm scrutinizing her every move. I need to figure out how to turn that off!

• Baller_
I rode an 9800SL for a couple seasons. The ski is no slouch and more predictable then my 9700 was and assume the same for earlier models. You will enjoy it and if your wife is skiing slower speeds, she may like it as well. I'm blessed like you in that over the years my wife has done the same. Not sure you can turn that off but it's all in the way you say what you need to say that matters. Her words..."Im your wife...NOT your ski buddies" . Best advice she ever gave me.

• Baller
@WylieSkier I had both the 9800 and the 9900. 9900 is the same ski but better graphite. I noticed that Goode has a 9900 65.75 (my recommendation for your size) for sale on the website. If not the 9800 was a great ski (skied on both). But definitely the 65.75".

• Baller
From a long time Goode skier. The 9900 is a better ski. Still nothing wrong with the design. Even if it cost a couple hundred more I would go with the 9900. I rode mine through a lot of short line for the better part of 3 seasons and am kicking myself for selling it this past winter.

I got the 65.75. I figured if I was going to get something new(er) I'd try to get it right. From researching this ski and what people were saying, the 9900 was a better ski, but it's more than I wanted to spend right now. I have two boys, 2 and 5, and a wife who's running marathons so it's a struggle to find time for the course. We have an standing arrangement that I get every Monday (after work) to do whatever, so I'm looking forward to getting back into this sport. Thanks for the help.