Lean the F&$% forward!!

Brady

• Baller

@Than, those #'s look about right, but fail to take in 1 important factor. How is said weight....uh...."distributed"? I'm right on your # (6', 165), but I could definitely stand to wear my 165 a lot better!

• Baller

@estrom Interesting point. I have a gut, but I am pretty solid everywhere else and I have great strength. Enough so that getting my ass out of the water with a full double boot 12 to 14 times a day is nothing. YES I am going to drop the extra 30 pounds, but the majority of that will be in my gut.......yes, no more beer!!!! :)

@Than_Bogan you are a true nerd and I love you for that my friend.

• Baller

I'm late to the party but I'm with @wish. I was struggling with being too tail heavy at the beginning of the season. I got a little better with some work but not a lot. One day I decided to check my fin and bindings for any movement. After checking I remembered that i had to modify the binding to get it back far enough but was hesitant when I first bought it so I didn't. Long story short, I'm still not perfect but after moving my binding back 1/2" to the recommended position, I had beaten my PB by more than a full pass in the first week.

I know @Horton likes to beat his drum about keeping stock fin settings until you really know what you're doing. The more crap I change, the more I realize how right he is and how much my ignorance has hurt me.

• Baller

Brady if you want ski fitness forget weight training since you are overdeveloped in some areas. Concentrate on plyo drills, sprinting, or any bodyweight movement thyat develops your weak links

If you are really serious go low carb, only yams as a starch, cut out all alcohol and eat more of a paleo style diet.

Go do a Bikram yoga class and tell me how you do. Bikram works on elongating your muscles as well as strengthening your core. I was a former running back, competitive bodybulder and could push some serious weight around. I feel much stronger now for skiing at 155 @ 5'7" and would like to be 150 for Nationals. I have cut out alcohol, do bikram 6 days a week, ski as much as possible and keep improving.

I'll bet you look great at 190 and might surprise youself with how great you feel.

• Baller
@Rich Okay, (I think I will be calling you a bastard for the next couple of months!!) I checked on the Bikram yoga and all I can find is Hot Yoga. Is that the same? Also, what is a good paleo diet website?

• Baller
Take a look at paleomg dot com for some great recipes and look at robbwolf dot com for a good overview of the diet. Mark Sisson is another guy who is well respected and writes some good material on the subject. His site is called Marks Daily Apple. Good luck @Brady. One of my neighbors is every oz of 230 and skis into 38 off. Being Andy Mapple or Nate Smith lean is not a requirement but certainly makes things a bit easier. Keep skiing

• Supporting Member
@itch2ski Sure. Too many buttons to push on a calculator, so I made a spreadsheet do it for me. All I have to do is put in any target combination and it'll make a little "chart" for me. Just to need to know Nate's info.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan I don't think I could get down to 165. I am 6' tall and weigh 220 right now and need to lose weight. I think getting to 180 (my weight in high school) would be really hard but I could do 200.

@brady how tall are you?

• Baller

I agree whole heartedly that leaner is better....but.... I also think that proportions matter also. Attributes, like long arms. The ratio of thigh length to shin length will affect strength, and the ability to remain stacked against the boat's load. Leg length versus torso length at a given height etc.

Just saying that anytime we extrapolate from an "ideal" I think we are getting off of target.

• Supporting Member

@Jordan Good points. The biggest danger of math is that it can convince you that you know something!

Indeed, I've noticed an alarming trend where so-called "normal" people assume that anything that comes after an equation is a hard fact. I assure you it is not only possible to do math completely wrong, but even more dangerously it is possible to do it correctly and yet have it not be meaningful, most commonly because the assumptions are wrong or woefully incomplete.

So please understand my "charts" are just some arithmetic. You have to decide if it has any meaning.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan What are the lengths from your armpits to your wrists? Now measure from the top of your forehead to your eyes. Finally, how thick is your beard? The reason I am asking this is to see if I am as much of a nerd as you when it comes to ratios and science and math! :)

@Jordan I think you make some good points, however, I think the fact that @Rich pointed out the obvious--I am a fat ass and if I want to get better, I need to drop more lbs--is definitely ON topic. By being less rotund, I will have a better stance and skiing posture, and I will be able to get stacked better and all that stuff. yes, there are anomolees (sp?), but I like playing the odds, and if that means eating cave man food and stretching my ass in a heated room (hopefully filled with beautiful and sweaty women) then I choose to do whatever it takes to improve!

@Texas6 @Chef23 6 foot 7 baby!

• Baller

@brady Hot Yoga is similiar, Bikram is 26 postures done in 105 degree room lasting 90 minutes.

Either is fine as long as you make a commitment.

Paleo is very strict, I diviate from it as I eat both organic & commercially grown foods. I adhere to lots of fish, chicken; red meat once or twice a week. Lots of green veggies, low starch. Drink alot of water, add a mineral water in, I like Peligrino, the fizz feels good in my stomach, the minerals & H20 keep my hydrated, I take it all to an extreme, however at 56 years young and 5'7" I need every advantage possible to compete against my 6'2" competitors. Keep it all simple on diet, and on sking. Sking is after all just 2 turns in either direction. Keep it simple, learn how to stay balanced over the ski in a stacked position. The turn starts at the white water and ends at the white water, the buoy is the apex or center of the turn.

Lean in a stacked postion hands low, knees & ankles bent from white water to white water behind the boat. As a big strong guy resist the urge to lean back, only away. Remember the object is to get around as many buoys as possible as effciently as possible. Always think about how to be as efficient as possible in the slaom course. The most efficient skier is Nate Smith, Success leaves clues, watch what he does on video and copy it. Success is a jouney, I have been enjoyin the ride on water for over 50 years and competing over 40. Have fun, and my fun is in the challenge of pushing my mind & body to the limit. Now I'm off to a bikram class, then catching a plane to Michigan to ski at the BigDawg stop.

• Baller

I'm 6'1" and about the same weight as @Brady.

At 195-205 could run 35 pretty consistently and was mid-38 to running it in practice a few times.

At 235, I occasionally ran 35 and actually ran 3@38 in practice and 2.5 in a tournament.

At 255, I run 28 and 32 about the same, but can't run them consistently, and tire out on the back end of my third and fourth passes. I haven't tried 35, fearing I will end up with a hernia.

I haveI lost 10 pounds to get to 255, but I find losing weight one of the hardest things in my life. I understand why people can't quit smoking.

One positive, a younger 28 off skier joined us the other day and had never skied with me before, and after watching my opening 28, said to my friend who was driving, "man does that guy throw a huge spray". I went home feeling better about my skiing.

Strength to weight ratio has a LOT to do about success in this sport, and if you listen to the good advice on BOS.

• Baller

@brady I weighed 215 in 2010...granted carried more muscle but also not quite as lean. Gave up comp powerlifting and lifting so freaking heavy. Went very low carb and switched to gin and diet tonic. I eat lots of protein...meats/fish/eggs/zone bars. I still have some carbs and if we go out to eat all bets off...that's a cheat night but I can afford it if I'm otherwise good.

This morning I weighed 179 and did a single set of 100 push ups before work. I ski better light...though I still pull like a 200 pounder says the boat driver.

• Baller

An advice from another beginer!

Well trained is very important.

Keep on losing weight and strenghten core.

But try to spend a lot of time on the water.

This is the best way to improve having fun also.

Stop skiing when you get to tred to avoid injuries and bad habits.

In Sweden, best case we can ski from early May to earle October.

Personally I try to ski many passes per set due to I cannot ski so many days as I would like to.

It is so fun. Since I start from a low level I progress fast.

I also consider this to be a great work out.

Monday I skied one run with stupied 16 passes.

I got 5 full passes around 27mph (pb 1/2 at 30).

In the end I tried 3 passes on 22 off just for fun and I made one full pass more.

22 off at 26+ was fun. Will try this again.

This story is supposed to encourage you to strech you limits while havivg fun on and off the water.

Best luck

Peter

• Baller
@ShaneH After seeing you in real from the quickset video, I have a new profound respect in your abilities...........to pick up women!!! Damn dude, how much are you spending at the spa each month to look so cute?