Malibu Response LXi or TXi

Dacon62

• Baller

Have a 20' V-drive Malibu VTX now with the diamond hull but as a slalom skier at heart it is time to sell and buy a real slalom boat.

Is it worth spending the extra dough on the TXi (2012 or newer) or is the Lxi (2007-2011) good enough. Our ski crew all ski long line (15/22 off).

I'm at 15 off and have played a little at 22. I love my LXi (07-11) and don't really regret not paying for the TXi since they were brand new at the time and out of budget. I've skied a few though, and they're a nicer wake where I'm skiing. If I were looking again and could find one within budget (or pretty close), TXi is the way to go.

• Baller
Either boat will be fine, wake is better at slow speeds with the TXI, (28-30). I running 22-28 off and to be honest the wakes between different year LXI's and TXI's I've been behind all seem a little different. Not better or worse just a little different, nothing that I thought would improve my skiing. Most boat for the money is the way to go.

Larry -----<|

I ski behind both regularly and I always ski at least a speed higher behind the Txi, the wakes at lower speeds and long lines is so much better. If you can afford the Txi it's the one to have. That said, Lxi is still a really nice boat.

• Baller
Txi rocks... its my favorite boat. If I were in the market, I would beg, borrow, steal, finance the extra. I'd do whatever it took. Having said that, my ball count is the same behind my 2008 Moomba, vs the TXi, but I sure do love a set behind the TXi more.

• Baller
Owned a '07 LXI and now a '12 TXI, the improvements are: line of sight with raised drivers seat and new window is much improved, plus easier to talk to a skier over the side, tracking is better and 'body roll' is greatly reduced, wakes at slower speeds as mentioned are much smaller, pulling the kids at 14-22 mph I would say darn near half the size and from 22 to 28mph it's improved marginally, above that not much difference but still better, refined throughout, much tighter tolerances overall than the '07, more room between passenger seat and motor box, handling is improved just slightly...overall a good improvement and worth the extra coin if one can afford it, but the '07/'08 LXI's a very good and can be ZO equipped easily if not already installed

• Baller

@dacon62 thanks for the message. Before you ditch the vdrive, what type of skiing do you do that makes you want to go after a Response? You mentioned the line length but I've test skied your boat and at 34-36 MPH the wake is wide but I never noticed it to impact me open water or in the course. If you're below 32 or 30 MPH then yep the wake is a bit big for slalom.

I actually found the VTX had a more mellow wake at long line compared to the FXI which is the same hull. Short line the story flips between those boats (at least in my opinion).

• Baller

We ski at 34 mph at 11 (add last years 28-32 off 4 ft. length to the line) and 28 off. This is to avoid the rooster tail kick of 15 and 22 off. The VTX wake, as you mentioned is wider, taller and harder than a DD. Soft knees are helpful. The drop off the 2nd wake as you cut through also make holding position more challenging. Having said all that it is still a pretty decent wake for a 3500 pound rear engine boat. Recently skied behind a 86 Malibu skier, 99 Malibu sportster and an 02 Nautique 196 made me realize what I was missing. At 50 years old skiing behind a boat with a smaller, softer wake will be less taxing on the body.