Help with ZO settings

BruceEmery

Finally getting to ski regularly with Zero Off, but have not yet been able to find a setting that suits me. What I'm looking for is a quick response off the ball, but not an over-powering pull from buoy to buoy. Started with C2 this morning and found myself falling in before the rope tightened. B3 seemed somewhat better, or was it just my skiing. What do you all ski at, any suggestions? Boat is a 2010 SN. BTW I noticed that this boat does some serious rpm to go 34.2. Is that typical?

• Baller
Lets just say that whatever happened before the rope tightened was not due to any setting. ZeroOff pretty much reacts to what you do. Not to contradict @ShaneH at all, as I agree that C3 picks you up quicker and sooner. I'm sure he would also tell you that whatever happens only happens after the rope tightens. Take a look at the chart @Scoke is talking about. @Clemsondave had a good chart a few years back that I thought better fit what happens. Do a search for that on this forum. Oh, by the way, if you're not a jumper get you a Acme 422 prop.

• Baller
That is a very educational link. Thanks for putting that on here. It makes me excited to go dink around with it and see what I feel behind the boat. I assume that the basics of the settings are the same for my PPZbox right? I'm currently set on B2, and looking at that graph on the bottom makes me wonder if I might like it a little better on A2 or maybe even A1.

• Supporting Member

For "not an overpowering pull from buoy-to-buoy", I believe you (like me) will like 1. But that also depends on weight. Don't forget that ZO has to get the right time eventually, so if you tell it "1" but you go out and pull like an animal, it has to make it up somewhere. Thus 1 can end up yanking a bigger/stronger skier at a really bad time, and end up feeling like a hard pull.

I can't really tell much difference amongst A,B,C. I kinda think that when I'm skiing really well C feels best. But B seems to be a little more tolerant of my most common mistakes, so I've settled on B1.

Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking that C2 changed my pullout and gate rhythm and left me with slack at 1. It's nice to have choices, but you sure have to get it right, then ski it right to be beneficial. I have three sayings that describe my skiing; my skiing is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get, sometimes your the windshield sometimes your the bug, past performance may not be an indicator of future returns. So, skiing consistently is highly advised.

One skier of my acquaintance believes the multiple settings a placebo/marketing illusion. If we look under the dash close enough we might see just a large bundle of wires with exposed ends... :-) Could be- perception is often reality...

at 205lbs I like C3 when going 34 and 36mph hits hard but lets go at wake. when I play at 30 for wide ride I have to use B2 or I end up sinking in around the ball, B2 is an easier pull but throws me into the ball faster. I also used the chart referenced above to figure this out.