How Often Do You Change your Line ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

@ed_johnson

Oboy. That makes about 500 sets per year and rope.

Given that I can not pull half as hard and only get type 50 sets at my club my rope will last type 20 years ;0)

And we do not get enough sun to be a real problem either.

Some one will most likely cut it wit the propeller prior to worn out.

• Baller
The longest anyone should use a rope for slalom skiing is 2 years regardless of the amount of use or care taken with the rope. I get a new one each spring (ML) and keep an eye on it all season. Any injuries from a rope breaking after 2 years should be considered self-inflected. Used ski ropes become brittle with time.

• Baller
Like Horton says, broken ropes are a one time lesson. Great way to needlessly end a season. I replace as soon as I see any fray or when its dry and really tight. The tournament ropes often have a little give and a really mature rope wont. I end up going through ML ropes 1-2 per season. Beyond the risk mitigation benefit, I figure I wont notice the +$75/season vs my total investment in waterskiing

• Baller_
Being that 28 and 32 off are my common wear points I procure replacement sections from some of the elite level skiers at Cory's from time to time, They don't use them. Usually go through two full ropes a year. I ski with a few lake skiers and my fam that includes Esteban el Torro! He can break just about anything!!

• Baller
New masterline rope and handle is my Christmas present to myself each year. I have had a few break in the past. The scariest was on the way into the ramp. Turned out OK though, but I don't chance it anymore.

• Baller
I see a lot of people replacing ropes each year which seems totally legitimate. However, are those personal ropes or club ropes? Our club rope typically see's the most wear between -15 and -32. I wouldn't say the rope was frayed but the contact points have yellowed/lightened from wear. We replaced it at the beginning of the year. If I had to guess, I'd say less than 150 sets for the year so far. You guys still think it's good?

@gsm_peter yeah extra short haha. We also measured the individual sections of rope against one another and found that my 12m section and @addkerr were different in length. Different length's on all the sections really, obviously they have been used for a season.

@CReckard when we measured the ropes we had them as tight as we could get them, obviously not when they are under load behind the boat but as close as we could get them.

• Baller

Like the other Bishop said.

I have skied around or above 200lbs my entire skiing life, and have broken at least 3 or 4 ropes and handles. Usually, I am using someone else's rope and made a dumb decision to ski vs not, and as I got older, I carry an extra rope and handle with me always. Any signs of fraying and the rope gets tossed in the beginner or utility trailer tie down pile. Most of the guys I ski with now know I won't hookup to an old rope. I have bruised ribs and almost shattered my thumb when the yoke broke on a bridal. The latest fiasco a couple years ago was a bent handle with my hands almost getting stuck in the bend. That was totally unpredictable. Spend a few extra bucks and save physical abuse!

• Baller
Figure I would bring attention to this thread after reading the thread on @Wish and his broken rope / rib injury. I have a brand new Masterline rope from @Darwin that will sadly be used for only one season regardless of how it looks.

• Baller
I have 3-4 years on my current master line. I should probably replace it, but it still measures inside tolerances. For my 15-22 off skiing it's fine. If I was skiing deeper down the line I would probably be more religious about replacements.

• Baller
Must replace if you see wear on the pylon loops, it's overdue at that point. I agree with @Horton that they get dry and tight and I find this is before they wear out at the pylon. I end up skiing about 100-120 days a year and go through 2 ropes a season. I buy them 4 at a time so I have no excuse to push the old one.

• Administrators
I have very little sympathy for anyone who uses a rope more than a year old. When I get in the boat and I see frayed loops on the pylon I always abuse the skier.

• Baller

When the ends of splices start to poke through the line, that it is the time. Although, you

can extend the life of the line by pulling out the end, and trimming it back, always cutting

it an angle. Key is to keep the towline out of the sun when not in use. Splice ends that

are trimmed back at an angle are important. Found that back about 1966 doing some

work with a testing maching at engineering school.

Back in the Old Days of the 8-strand line, the LaPoints got maybe 12 sets out of a new

line, so says one of them. The swivel pylon was a great invention to prolong towline life,

as was the slide-loop design.