Broken Tibia with Double Strada Boots and my Binding History

adam

• Baller

@ScarletArrow I think the thing to look for when you test the Stradas is whether there is any elasticity left after you tighten the laces. As mentioned above you should be able to get out of Stradas on dry land. As to other types of rubber boots, being able to get out while in the water by pulling on the tip is a pretty good indicator that they are fitted right. Dry rubber boots are totally different.

Like you, I don't see where the bottom laces factor in as far as being loose. Ultimately, if you can't get past the top laces, you're screwed.

• Baller
@ScarletArrow the top lace is the one that controls the release it is the bungee the bottom lace doesn't have any give in it. When you are going to come out of the boot the top lace stretches and releases you. The bottom lace doesn't have any give in it. Running the bottom tight and the top loose would let you out. Running the bottom loose and the top tight would make it harder to release. Bottom tight and top tight would release the same as the bottom loose top tight.

• Baller
@DaveLemons this is sort of the same idea of lacing ice skates. If the top is tight the boot is like a cast and you lose the mobility of your ankle. If the very bottom is tight all you do is squeeze your toes which is uncomfortable and affects your balance. Being slug somewhere in the middle results in good control but doesn't affect your mobility as much while staying comfortable.

• Baller

@deke - I always thought the top buckle did 2 things.

1 - keep water out of the liner - a Velcro strap solves this a bit.

2 - translate shin motion into the base of the ski.

Number 2 is a double edged sword - seems like pictures of shortline skiers always shows that the tibia is angled over the ski more than the ski is "keeled" over on the water. That being the inefficiency of the rubber binding to "roll" the ski on edge actually lets the skier get more angle away from the boat with out rolling the ski further and further over.

Side shots always seem to point out that the ski's bottom is not angled at a perpendicular to the leg, but is less keeled over on the water that it would be assuming 100% 90 degree between the tibia and the base of the ski.

This seems to indicate that a looser top buckle or a less supportive rubber binder reduces the amount the ski is keeled over - which might indicate that what is really important is the lean of the body - and the ski really just needs to be pointed the right direction.

Just thoughts.

• Baller

I buried the tip at second wake between 1 ball and 2 ball @ 38 a month ago. It was an extreme quick sort of twisting OTF. My double Strada released as they should at first impact but still I sprained my front ankle badly. The foot is still swollen and is hurting. I started to ski with the foot taped up with duct tape last week and it is skiable. (it is not broken if you can fix it with duct tape or super glue)

Both booths released as they should and I believe it had been worse in any other system. I tighten the bottom laces as hard as I can and the top laces snug but not tight. I can get out with out loosen them. The bottom line is: Waterskiing at high speed is risky and accidents will happen in any system.

Tsixam

Adam,

I hope you are well down the road to recovery. I have been on the stradas for a few months now and have gone OTF on several occasions. I keep my laces pretty loose and each time I have released cleanly. In reality with nothing but the velcro strap I don't think you would pre-release, though it might feel weird.

A medial tibial plateau fracture, typically results from either osteoporotic bone(not thinking this is your issue), or from a high velocity/energy axial load often involving a varus force. In order to alleviate this type of load a binding would have to release through the ski, something no binding system (incl dual lock) can do. If your initial fall (sounds like an otf with a tuck and roll onto your back) was not enough to release both feet, Biomechanically I don't think any binding system would have prevented the tibial fx once your ski hit the water again.

It makes me think that all of us double boot folks might want consider how we tighten our bindings. The last thing you want is a rear foot only release (think spiral fx, tibial plateau, lis franc, or if you are lucky just a bad sprain). If anything you would most likely want your front binding loose compared to the rear to minimize your chance of a partial release........its not likely you will continue the pass with one foot out so you might as well come all the way out. I have yet to experience a front foot only release, nor have I seen one. I am sure someone has done it, but it has got to be rare.