Terms we make up to describe slalom

Horton

• Administrators

“Flowy” say /FLOW – EEE/

Adjective - Used to describe a skier, ski or a slalom pass that was smooth and flowing.

Example – “That ski looks flowy” or “I do not feel very flowy tonight” or " @matthewbrown is so darn flowy"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Box Of Chocolates”

Adjective – Used to describe a pass or ride where the end of every turn was a surprise. Or

Used to describe a ski where every ball is different from the next.

Example – Wow that pass was like a box of chocolates .

• Baller

Rolly or Roly/ROW-LEE/

Adjective : used to describe a surface condition of water that is not smooth, calm, and flat.

Also, common excuse used by most competitive water skiers.

Example- "I skied like crap because the water is too rolly."

• Baller

Stacked.

Adjective: Best aligned body position for crossing the wakes behind boat.

In the slalom ski world it is used for both males and females. For the average joe, only used for females. (Wife just saw this, laughed, and said I need another hobby.)

• Baller

"Shit show":

Adjective: used to describe a successful pass that begins with a bad one ball followed by long pulls and slack hits at every subsequent ball. It finishes with a big pile of slack out the end gates. Synonym: "the rodeo clown".

• Administrators

@MS do you mean "cattywampus"

The definition of cattywampus, often spelled catawampus, is not lined up or not arranged correctly, or diagonally.

Example: "Can you believe the Mrs.MS married a man so cattywampus"

• Baller

@Horton there is a different definition of flowy or flowing.

Flowing v Flowy

flow·ing

/ˈfloʊɪŋ/ Show Spelled [floh-ing] Show IPA

adjective

1. Moving through the course with little or no effort

2. A word used to describe Horton's locks.

Shaner

shan·er

/ˈfloʊɪŋ/ Show Spelled [shay-ner] Show IPA

adjective

1. Have a great score on or off the course.

Example. Dude, I ran such a great pass today, I totally Shaned it!

Example. I shaned it last night with that girl. Totally hot!

• Baller_

Laying Down

Description of windy day getting calmer. "... a minute ago you could surfed but it's laying down"

Gear

Used to inform the skier in the platform that the boat will be put into gear and not to fall off. Often said to late and to quiet. ...."Gear"........"What"? Spash

Tightn-up

Term used by skier in the water to let the driver know to take the slack out before hitting it. ".....tightn up..... hit it."

Scrounge

Term used to describe a valiant efert to get around the ball when you are crazy late. ".....dude, you scrounged that one out"

Wiff

Term used to describe the missing of the gates by the skier "....you totally wiffed your gates"

Scrapped

See Scrounged. ".......ya I broke forward at the gates but scrapped it out"

Crank

Term often used after scrapping and scrounging through a few balls and then forcibly turning the ski around the ball. ".........holy crap you cranked that one"

Mentally preparing

Also know as peeing before being pulled up out of the water. "....... ah hang on... dont tightn up yet, I'm mentally preparing"

• Baller

"out the front" -

Adjective - getting your tip dropped in slalom.. and where resulting crash starts with the first point of water contact is your face, or arms. Awesome to watch... bad to experience. Also abbreviated "OTF" on message boards and the like.

time for a visual...

2ecc9cedd2932ab19f51c7adebbfce.jpg

note the slalom ski, total lack of control, and where face or arms will most likely be the first point of contact.

• Baller

Panda.

A term used to describe an outrageous post or one that is quite ridiculous.

Ban

A term used by Horton to let ballers know they are precariously close to getting a panda or worse, being sent to the corner.

• Baller

Leading and Trailing Arms - terms used to totally confuse skiers. Loosely used alternatively in place of one another.

Counter Rotate - term used to totally confuse skiers where fractional anomalies pulling skier to inside are resisted by torquing away from the path of travel.

Reverse C position - term used to totally confuse skiers, also more commonly a position Shane....never mind.

@Wish "gear" is also used for tightening the rope. Typically by those who like to be dragged prior to being pulled up. I call those people "special".

Not for skiing but used at our lake:

Copperbackrattlemoccassin

noun - used to describe any snake.

Example: Ahh! There's a copperbackrattlemoccassin! Choot him boy!

• Baller_

Folded like a lawn chair

One I heard (frequently) when skiing with @MS this summer... Not gonna say if he was talking about me or him. ".......got folded like a lawn chair comn out 3 ball."

• Baller
@wish - straighten up - when the skier insists that the line lay exactly over the rear tow point before they will accept a pull. See also - skier who insists that they would like to have the full '75 of line after which you search beneath seats and in side pockets for that bit of rope you sometimes tie to a dock with.

• Baller_

The dog house

Term used to describe the motor box of a ski boat as it's similar in size and shape. Also term used when your wife finds out you bought another ski. ....."you bought WHAT?.. oh you are sooo in the dog house. ....." dude, get your feet off the dog house!"

• Baller_

Shadowing

Term used to discribe a skier sking just to the inside the buoys as a practice tool.

clipped-it

Term used when Shadowing is taken to far. ......" we lost a buoy. Ya, when I was shadowing it I got to close and clipped-it."

"Are you American?" It started years ago when my kids were little...When I sit in the water getting ready to ski. "Yes" means hit it, go ahead and go. "No" means don't go yet, your-a-pee-en. They still yell this question at me today.

Thanks for letting me in Horton....more info later.

• Baller

Yellow, green, blue, and other colors.

Colors used in a sentence to describe the length of the ski line.

“Let me feel the blue steel.” “Give me some yellow fellow.” “I want some of the mean green.”

• Baller
Getting "crushed": usually followed by a "bow to the queen" or a "humping the dog" like position - oftentimes ending with a "sling-shot" or a pressurized flying handle that shoots towards the boat at warp speed... getting crushed happens when the load on the line is greater than the skiers ability to handle it.

• Baller

Body Slam - while cranking a turn you lay down on the water and slam your elbow in the water so you pivot around your elbow.

Can also refer to what Chuck Norris does with any opponent - or the slalom course. Chuck Norris body slams the buoys.