Where does shortline start?

Skoot1123

• Baller

Where does shortline start? Does it begin at 28 off? Or is it actually 35 off? I'm sure there are different schools of thought, and what your reasons are for choosing them. So, what is YOUR shortline, and why?

My opinion is -32 off. (maybe that's because I have only ran it three times) At this stage you can control your position going into/out of the turn, have developed good body position across the wakes, and are working on the finer parts of gates and handle control. Consistancy at this line length may be something your working on, but you are very comfortable at 22 off, and reasonably comfortable at 28 off.

For these reasons I don't classify myself as a shortline skier because I don't ski at 32 off very frequently. I run a majority of my 22's and am able to get one 28 per time out on the lake (usually). In short, it's my consistancy that holds me back - I have been battling that for the past 7 years. It obviously will take more water time to get better.

Here's to hoping EVERYONE gets more water time!

• Baller
@Horton thanks for depressing the hell out of me on a beautiful short monday morning. I will stay on BoS for a short stay and then I am going to go get a quick bite to eat with my short friend. This post is going to be short as well, because looking at me I am far tooooo long in about every area! Damn, I have a Long long long way to go to be short!!!

• Baller
I've been short all my life (5'7"); but, it just happened again last Friday when I PPB'd 1@38' and backed it up with another 1@38'....one of the few times I can brag about being short and be revered.....or at least somewhat respected.

• Baller

I believe shortline starts at 22 off. That is where you have made a huge achievement. You have completed your pass at maximum speed and earned the right to shorten the rope.

You begin to feel the ski get real angle and get a whip from the boat.

• Supporting Member

I'm with @Dirt. If you shorten it, that's shortline. (Hey, I'm simple minded.)

Then I use the term "deep shortline" to refer to the same thing @Horton does: Shortening to not reaching the buoy.

Then 41' and beyond are a new category that I sometimes call "insane shortline."

• Baller

Depends who you ask....For Nate, 43 off.

For me, I would have to say 35 off..The reason being that 28 and 32 ski very similar...There is a distinct difference between 32 and 35.

I know for me it is easiest to ski 28 and 32, skiing Arcs...I try not to do that....At 35 I must ski angles, or I have no chance at 38.

35 is also one of the best lines to practice "Short Line Technique," where you can make a mistake and recover...38, not so much.

• Baller

When I started skiing it was on a 75' rope. When I ran that and shortened to 15 off, I was told that i was now a shortline skier by my partners who had skied the course for many years. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Modern skiing basically threw away the 15 foot section, but in its purest form, most everyone now starts at short line. I think super short line starts at 38 because of what @horton said.

• Baller_

Was actually asked that this morning by the guy I was skiing with. My answer to him was:

Long line 0 off all speeds through 22 off class speed

Short line 28 through 35

Deep short line 38-41

There is no term to describe the insanity that resides at 43 and beyond

• Baller
My understanding was very close to @wish and he beat me to it. I classify long line as full length and 15 off. Shortline as 22-35 and deep shortline as 38 and up. Not that I really care whether I'm classified as shortline, noob, or expert... I just have a hard time grasping the concept that skiing shortline isn't skiing a line shorter than normal/max length but rather skiing at or near pro level.

• Baller
we complain that slalom skiing is dying from general lack of public interest and we discuss ways to grow the sport. why then would we want to take a time honored word like shortline and try to make it even more elitist than it already is? shortline begins when you make the line shorter than standard - leave the snobbery for golf and tennis.

• Baller
So, if it starts at the first line length shorter than normal, does everyone outside of the USA all ski short line? The USA is the ONLY place that still has a 75 foot (23M) line length for slalom. My guess is it has to be -22 off or more. -15 at max speed is not short line

• Baller_

@alex38, I borrowed that term from @AB in the post preceding mine.

For others wondering about 15 off, I selected 22 off as the first shortline designation due to the change in the physics/geometry of the boat and angle experienced at 22 off. It just seems to be more of a difference than 15 off is from long line (which I have never seen anyone ski).

Coincidentally, our Ability Series definitions here in Michigan somewhat coincided with what I listed. I checked them after I posted, just to see what they thought. We were similar, though not exact. Here they are:

Maximum Speed Group:

A1 Entry Level - 4 passes total buoy count at any speed

A2 .25 @ 26 MPH (43 kph) to 6 @ 28 MPH (46 kph)

A3 .25 @ 30 MPH (49 kph) to 6 @ 30 MPH

A4 .25 @ 32 MPH (52 kph) to 6 @ 32 MPH

A5 .25 @ 34 MPH (55 kph) to 1 @ -22 34 MPH

A6 .25 @ 36 MPH (55 kph) to 1 @ -22 36 MPH (B3, M1, M2 skiers)

Shortline Group

B1 1.25 @ -22 max speed t0 6 @ -22

B2 .25 @ -28 max speed to 3 @ -28

B3 3.25 @ -28 max speed to 6 @ -28

B4 .25 @ -32 max speed to 3 @ -32

B5 3.25 @ -32 max speed to 6 @ -32

B6 .25 @ -35 max speed to 3 @ -35

Super Shortline Group

C1 3.25 @ -35 max speed to 5 @ -35

C2 5.25 @ -35 max speed to 2 @ -38

C3 2.25 @ -38 max speed to 5 @ -38

C4 5.25 @ -38 max speed to shorter

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Shortline is your max speed at -22 and beyond. In the entire world of people who water-ski there is really only a small percentage who can even run a slalom course. Even smaller -22 and beyond. I agree with mwetskier's post, lets not make this any more elite than it is. Anyone who skis with me, if you are -22 and shorter, you are shortline. If you are -38 and beyond, I am just pissed cuz your better than me......damn you....OF

• Baller
I don't think it's elitist...it's about where the game significantly changes in terms of angles, how high a skier needs to be on the boat etc. I'd call it the running 35 off camp as the beginning...which incidentally makes me a beginner in the shortline world as a guy who runs nearly all 35's and an occasional 38. I don't think the guys above me are elitist...just better.

• Baller
The first time I “felt” short line slalom was at -22 back in 1922 but I think true short line slalom starts at -32/13 meters. That is where the pros start and there is no way you can call any pro tournament skiing long line. They start with a short line and continue to extremely short lines. To the individual, it’s all relative to the individuals skill level I guess.

• Baller

OK - thanks for all the responses. I see the validity of all points made - including @Horton - but I too whole heartedly agree with what @miskier suggested. Why? Because at 22 off you do feel the whip of the boat. At 28 off you have to advance up on the boat in order to run the pass efficiently. At 32 and greater I don't have enough experience to comment intelligently on it.

For the new ballers out there - I think @horton should add the list from @miskier to the FAQ.