Slalom skiing Sarasota Florida

Olliesk100

• Baller
Hey I have been skiing at private site just outside Sarasota however the lake owner has died and the new owner isn't keen for us to ski there any more. I am in town for 2 weeks are there any skiers who have access to a slalom course and boat about if not my mate has the boat n we just need a lake with course! Any help appreciated cheers Ollie

• Baller

Hope you have success in finding another ski site.

For me, Sarasota was somewhat of a turning point in my early ski career. Went there in the Spring of 1964 during a college break and went to Joe Cash's ski school, hoping to maybe improve enough to ski in the 1964 Nationals, which were to be in the East. Or at least, to learn to jump far enough to get into the Century Club, which was a big thing back then.

Joe's operation was out in the bay, in ocean water, but not all that bad a site at the time. No sidecurtains on the ramp "can't keep them on with the weather'. Billy Spencer, World Champion 1963, and coached by Joe, was still skiing at that time in the vicinity.

He also had one of the very early fiberglass Ski Nautiques. Today, up in NH a ski buddy has one of the 1963's and is renovating it. Plenty basic, but plenty of power to weight, as not much weight. Must weigh about 1/2 of today's ski boats.

While I was there, Joe went to the Dixie Champs at Cypress Gardens on the weekend and won tricks. Also banged himself up surfing, or at least that what was he said. The guy is immortalized in a slalom photo showing him throwing up a huge spray at Callaway Gardens. He lost his life in 1967 at the young age of 30 in a car-train accident.

I learned lots there, but didn't quite make my goal to qualify for the Nationals. I attended, and I now have a DVD of converted 8mm film that I made there in Webster, Mass. Some neat old stuff that most of you might appreciate. Ramp tricks! Billy Spencer winning in Boys, nearly running 30 off.

At Joe's school, I met Gordon Gay, long before Russell was born. Gordon is still active, and was at the Easterns today, skiing in Men7 tricks. His granddaughter is scoring trick points at about 3X what he's running now.

Interesting that you posted about this lake. I just bought my 2002 SN196 from Allen on that lake, and test drove it there. What a great place to ski/train! It's a total shame that the new landowner is giving everyone the boot. I could tell he was really bummed and it sucked to buy his boat under those circumstances. I just took my first sets behind it today on a private lake just northeast of Gainesville and all I can say is WOW, what an incredible boat!

Allen, if you're reading this, I hope you and your buds find another place to ski real soon but if not, hit me up for a pull up in N. FL!