I am looking for the "best" possible ski for intermediate skill.

Emil0509

Hey! This is the first time i am buying a slalom ski. I have tried a slalomski a few times and ive been skiing alot with a normal combo ski with improved bindings. I am not planning to run any courses. I like to have a fun freeride where i am able to relax and enjoy, but still able to egde and make big water walls behind me haha. I can start on one. Any suggestions? Next thing is bindings, i was thinking a front binding with a good "open" back binding. Any recommendings? Thanks - emil!

Most any ski built over last 8-10 years will be pretty suitable. Most of the manufacturors have a ski (or two) built using less graphite etc, in the same molds as their top end slaloms for way less money. Depends too on height and weight, skier speed etc. There are skis to stay away from... A word to look for is "forgiving". Some skis in the mid to late 90's were pretty high performance rides, but 'forgiving' was not in their job description- the 'sweet spots' were measured in like mm.'s not inches. There were some dead-end designs that didn't last long- (fortunately).

• Baller

Radar P6 is a really great ski.

Radar Vector is a very comfortable and robust binding.

Also cover a Wide size range.

An adjustable rear toe plate is great if some one prefere to start on two skis and drop one.

It is important to get a not to advanced ski.

That will only slow down your learning curve.

Best luck and keep us updated.

• Baller

In every comprehensive ski manufacturer's line-up, you will find their flagship/top-of-the-line ski, their next-in-line-ski, an intermeditate competition ski, an advanced recreational ski, and a budget recreational ski. I would look at the current manufacturer's line-up and determine the models that are in the 3rd or 4th position. If the level of ski intensity is not clear, the pricing should also follow the same progression, so look for the 3rd or 4th ski in decending pricing. Now, with those make/model's jotted down, you can look for a gently used ski from that list. www.ski-it-again.com, ebay, and craigslist are all good sources for locating a gently used ski.

Check out Radar, O'Brien, HO, D3, Connelly, etc.

• Baller
Honestly, any slalom specific ski or binding that is correctly sized for you will be better than a combo ski. Even a 15 year old ski is probably going to be better than most combo sets. I spent a long time on a decent combo ski many years ago and got the random oppurtunity to ski a real slalom ski and it was an amazing difference. So many things started coming together and it was so much more enjoyable. Years later I felt I had reached the best skill I could and searched for ski instructors. I had no desire to run the course at the time but after a day on one for my lesson, I was hooked.

I have a '13 HO Freeride. It's a lot of fun on open water but doesn't make the biggest, cleanest wall of water, if that's what you're looking for. The rails on it send more water out than up. The HO Triumph would also be fun. Radar P6 and Theory are great too, with the P6 being a little wider and less aggressive.

@Emil0509 I have the the HO Freeride 2013, and the Radar Satori 2013, and the Radar Senate 2011 and The Radar Theory 2012. All skis are 67" and I weigh 190lbs. I would consider myself to an Intermediate/Advance more to the advance side skier. I dont spend anytime in the course. All free skiing on big lake. Hands down I go with the Theory 99% of time. It is the best freeride ski I have. I ski it at 30 mph and love it.

As far as binders i have the prime boot with rtp and the Vector with RTP. I like the vector with the RTP over the prime. The HO has the Basis boot and RTP. I dont like the basis RTP it bunches when i put my foot in the rear.

now go ski them all and have fun.

my 2 cents.

• Baller
@kona, that is quite a collection of skis! I have an 09 Theory with an HO Level boot. Ski is good. Just tried a Satori, and I like it but it is sooooo different. Slower speed and easy to get air. Edging and cuts were mediocre compared to the Theory. Interested in getting something new--how did you like the senate or free ride in comparison?

@ejj, I bought a '13 HO Freeride earlier this year and just got a '13 Senate-C, which I will use for the first time on Thursday. I bought them for different purposes but I should be able to compare the two directly soon if you're interested.

It'll be open water skiing and I've already removed the wing from the Senate's fin.

@ejj the free ride is a fun ski and I also ski it with a 100 ft rope so its hard for me to compare it to the theory. The Satori i ride like a wake board. I hook the rope (wakeboard rope) to the tower and have fun. The Theory to the Senate is comparable. The senate is a little more demanding and likes to go faster not as versatile as the theory. If your are looking for a one quiver ski may I again recommend the Theory. IMHO My 2 cents