Video coaching

rq0013

• Baller

This is a standard 28off/36mph pass for me. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to focus on for working at 32off. Last year I ran 32 off every set, very narrow. This year I have ran it 5-6 times but nothing consistent like last year, mainly because of a lack of skiing. This was a 32 from last weekend. I feel like I lose a lot of width after the 2nd wake because I unload all the energy to the inside, instead of continuing moving out. I have tried to think of, feeling the load in the leading arm, keeping my shoulder level during the transition etc.. The leading arm worked in FL then when I came back to WI I lost it and cant find it again. Any help would be appreciated

That was some good looking skiing. Your timing is great coming up at the center line. In my opinion you just need to be more aggressive from white water to center of the boat. Speed is your friend at 36 you need it to travel higher on the boat which is ultimately what gives you width. Get after it!

• Baller
Looks like some good skiing to me. I would say you need to be wider when you turn in for your gate. It also seems that you are standing up coming into your off side than you are on your on side turns. I think this is coming from the ton of angle you are taking out of your on side turn and it seems you are letting up at the white water like @Klundell was saying.

• Baller

@rq0013 I think it looks great, your upper body is right over the top of the ski which is really hard to do, most people have their shoulders and weight considerable further back.

The one thing I notice is that as you approach the first wake on both sides, your shoulders are ahead of your hips. I believe the shoulders are in the correct position however you need to go ahead and get your hips underneath them. It should start sooner, right out of the turn so that you can be nice and stacked approaching the wakes which will allow you to keep that direction outbound past the second wake much easier.

Again, don't lean your shoulders back to correct the alignment issue, rather, mover your hips underneath by opening up your shoulders a bit more to the boat and straighten the arms out.

The answer is definitely not less angle pull longer! You need to create more speed, just like @klundell said, at 36mph speed is your friend and you have to learn how to use it to get width which brings me to my second point that @MattP made and that is you have to get higher up on the boat on your gate! You should be well outside the turn balls at 28 off when you pull out. This allows you to have a progressive turn in and create speed to the center of the boat because you now have more distance to accelerate which will create more width into your turn and a better line out of the turn. Whatever you do, do not pull past the center of the boat aka "through the wakes"!!!!

• Baller
@rq0013 - that's some good skiing there! Just an observation since I'm not at your skiing level, but on your turn in toward the gates, it appears that the ski tip rises a bit and it sits you on the back of the ski for a split second before the first wake. This is more noticeable in your 32 off pass vs the 28 off pass. Perhaps as some have mentioned the width on your gate, this will go away/get better if you get a bit wider on the gate. Again - good skiing.