Double Binding Advice

JJR

• Baller

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope it makes some sense. I had a pretty horrific right knee hyperextension many years ago playing another sport which blew everything. Torn ACL, PCL Lateral, Medial, and tore the medial meniscus, hamstring, calf and ITB from the bone. It alslo resulted in severe peroneal nerve damage which left me with foot drop. After extensive surgery I was able to get back up and running to a degree.

Ten years later I got back into skiing as my kids were now old enough to learn and my wife suggested that it would be a good thing to do as a family. I didn't argue! I was getting back into the swing of things and bought myself a 2012 Prophecy. I would tighten my binding right up on my front (RFF) to give me extra support due to the foot drop (foot wants to role out 1,3,5)

Just after Xmas 2012 I had an OTF off the second wake and the rear foot came out and the front stayed in. Hyperextension again, similar damage but not as bad, partial tearing of the PCL, blown ACL and some minor tears in the hamstring and calf. Saw the top knee surgeon in Oz and he advised that it was ot worth reconstructing this due to scarring from previous surgeries but said that I could still ski! I skiied again after some heavy work in the gym at the end of April with a CTi Custom knee brace that I use for MotoX (just to get back on the horse).

Im going to try agian this summer (Oz) and I need a binding system that gives me support on the front foot and that keeps both feet in (cant afford the front foot to take all the load). I was keen on the Stealth as the Prophecy comes with the inserts already but I was thinking that powershells may give better support. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, how many ballers are skiing without an ACL and what is it like? I am thinking about seeing how I go this season and if it is no good, getting a second opinion and getting the surgury done.

• Baller
I've been using the Stealths since I recieved my 2013 prophecy (as soon as it was released). They are an excellent binding from my point of view. They are the only hardshell I've used so I don't have much to compare to. They are extremely comfortable and provide great support. I've had a few hard falls in which I would normally expect to be hurt in, although they relaeased perfectly and I didn't have any dramas. The only bad thing I can pick on them is that they are a bit of a pain to get on, although with some practice, they arent too bad.

JJR,

Give serious thought and a trial to Foggman boots. Been using them successfully since Terence produced the first ones (about 20 yrs now) and have not suffered any injuries. The one weakness with this system in my opinion is a direct straightaway strike to a buoy and that event will hurt you; have done that but did not break anything but the boot itself. I might come close to such poor judgement in a tournament but never in practice.

• Baller

With the foot drop - I would see if you can get a custom made AFO out of flexible materials. Check w/ your doc - but what I would specifically be looking into is having yourself fit with this:

http://www.bracemasters.com/products/drafo-dynamic-response-sport.php

I think if you form the liner around your foot with this style of device and a couple socks, you'll be able to get into the binding no problem.

This can be made to keep your front ankle flexed - which will get you in a good ski stance.

In terms of boots this will be an unpopular suggestion by many - but I would give fluid motion Quattro's a looksee. - The boots have lots of room which means you can fit a good liner, and of course - only separately releasing hardshells that are both sharing a release that I am aware of - as a person who destroyed a femur in a one in one out crash - I've been on the FM66's for over 7 years at this point.

• Baller
I agree with @bracemaker about the FMs, I was on a pair for about a year. Felt very safe. Mine were used and I could never get them to feel right. I know a few folks who are on newer setups and are enjoying them. The release is smooth and effortless and its always all out or all in. They are expensive, heavy and stiff; but, I always felt safe in them. I only stopped skiing on them because the ski they were on broke and the new ski didn't have the right hole pattern...

• Baller

I have a friend with the same foot drop condition and would agree the FM quattros would likely work well. Specifically because you can put the liner on, then slip the foot into the ski which should make it much easier to get going. The downside is that it is a bit heavy, but I have been on them for at least 4 years and am happy with their release and durability. I am on the single plate but you can order them with a split plate too.

Next step for me is the FM eSeries which are in the mail now. If I like them I might have a LFF Quattro set available in a US 10...

• Baller

@BraceMaker - Interesting looking brace that you refered to earlier. It looks as though it may be restricted for forward flex though. Whilst I need roll support I would still need to retain that forward flexability. Hence why I was looking at a hard shell type setup.

I would much prefer both feet to stay on the one plate as my right (front) leg has no ACL and would share any load/forces in a fall with the rear.

@Lucas - If I was ure that I could get into a stealth easily enough I think that I would go this way. The height of the boots appeal to me as they appear to provide the support that I need.

All the advice is much appreciated.

• Baller

You have to consider that you would go and have this fit - and you'd tell the person who is casting you for it that you want your tibia to be forward... 5 degrees? 8 degrees?

From there it would limit forward flexibility - how much though... arguable.

It will certainly limit the opposite.