Radar Graviton

FrankS

Hey guys,

I am currently in the market for a new trick ski and I am considering the graviton. Considering how new it is there is not much info out there on how it skis and how it compares to other skis already out there. I was wondering if any of you has skied on it and knows how it compares to d3, quantum, goode etc... Any information would help.

Thanks

• Administrators

I can tell you that i have not tricked more than 3 sets a year for the last 20 years. I rode the Radar Graviton again today & I made a flip first try. I think the first flip I have made since 1997ish. I tried a WL5F and just lost the handle on the landing. I will make next time. WOs and SLBs were all super easy. This ski is super fun. This ski is going to get me back into trick skiing.

What does @EleeSki run? I am coming for him. He will have more on paper but I will do it clean

@MrJones. Dont stress the edges too much. The soft edge skis can be fractionally more forgiving in my experience but only noticeable when I ski two skis back to back (I used to ride a D3 hard and soft for a while).

Personally, I just switched to a Reflex Furtif and absolutely loving it (switched from Quantum & D3)

@Horton, I know you are not a trick fag, but it would be amusing for you to do a couple of trick ski reviews!

• Baller
@MrJones my son has only skied a hard edged ski a D3 CX and it has been great for him as he progresses. I know @eleeski who knows a lot more about tricks than I do recommends one of the hard edged skis as good starting skis.

• Baller

I'm so stoked that Radar is offering a trick ski!

It is impossible to tell how a ski will feel by just looking at it. The Radar is getting good reviews from the couple people who have gotten to try it. Hopefully I will get to try one soon.

@MrJones Rubber vs hard edge is irrelevant. It is just a way to finish out the separation between the top and bottom skins. The hard edge does have an advantage in being easier to mold in different edges at different parts of the ski. It also resists wear better. Rubber doesn't hurt as much when you kick it. Personally, I haven't liked past rubber edge skis much. The D3 hardedge ski (which is currently my beginner ski recommendation) skis best in the longer lengths - which can be a problem for little kids. The Radar might work well here but it is too early to tell. The Goodman and Reflex Trick Systems ski great small but are not my favorites for all around learning - size alone is not that important.

@Horton You might be cleaner (really did I say that?) but I will score more. Judging is random anyhow.

Eric

• Administrators

@epyscs

I made flip first try.... first time in over 15 years.... landed soft but popped the handle on WL5F first try in since almost forever.... that is the best review I can come up with

• Baller
@Mrjones - this is what I've been told as may son has progressed: hard edge = hands, rubber edge = toes, if only one ski honeycomb rubber edge (which is what we settled on). Toe tricks are very important early on. Now that my son is working on hands 5's, SL's etc. he is wanting to try a hard edge for hands. Also, as the skier progresses different lengths for toe and hand skis becomes more prevalent. We were also told not to go too small at the beginning - he is still using a 42 inch D3 that we got when he was <5' and about 65 pounds. He is now 5'10" and 125 and may want a longer hands ski.

• Baller

Thanks men. The two skis we have now are both 41" Obrien's that have been around a while but are in good shape. I bought a new Reflex from Andy at Nat's for the one ski that still had a pro wrap on it. I have a thick liner for my son and a thinner liner for my daughter so they can keep using the same ski at least through the fall/spring.

Early next year I will try to find another used Reflex set up and maybe buy a Gravitron so all 3 kids will have their own trick gear. (BTW. Let me know if anyone has a kids sized reflex set up they want to get rid of.) Man, multiple events and multiple kids are expensive!!!