New Prostar MTS and rear seat

Dacon62

• Baller

Love, love, love the new Prostar. The attention to detail is amazing not to mention the wake. @marcusbrown and the team at Mastercraft have really made a giant leap forward with this boat. So much focus has been on Wake boats...thanks for spending the time and effort to give us slalom skiers something new!

Have not heard this mentioned yet...Will the new Prostar have the MTS...Mastercraft Training System (small...180 lb. passenger side ballast tank) to balance the boat should you not be able to find a third for your set?

Also @wish mentioned a split 2 piece rear seat to make for easier passage when using the step over transom. Very user friendly when skiing. Unfortunately, you lose seating capacity for the occasions when you load up and go for a cruise down the lake. Could a good compromise be had with a fold up/down middle seat back? The seat back including the folding seat back portion and seat bottom would need to be removable when it's hard core time in keeping with the modular concept.

38a64fcbd008f2eb413ee85a65a161.jpg

• Baller
@skihart...Don't think anyone has seen the rear seat. Just going by what @wish said in his comments in the discussion titled "I have seen the 2014 Prostar" ... The planned twin rear seating with center opened to a EASY step over.

• Baller_

Rep at Nationals said two separate seats (think Infinity) that can be removed easily. They will be very light. Leave one in, take one out or both. I like that idea. Maybe lose one seat but hay, it's an open bow so who needs it. Noisy back there anyway. Basically I now see a boat that people won't trample on, rub against, or lean on vinyl.

The ballast will be weights. At least that's what was at nationals. Will post pics. But basically it looks like you can hang normal bench press bar plates (any configuration) on a removable post where the seats go. So both sides or just one side can be weighted. Was explained as a trick ski option.

• Baller
I saw that pic with the back weight. Do not know if the fact of being in the back has a significant impact compared to weight near the passenger seat, but if not, this alternative is far better for us than a water ballast, as it is quicker to put/take out. Currently using bottom section of 20 l oil containers filled with concrete...

• Baller

@marcusbrown if that is the system of ballast...(thoughts from a gym rat):

Would want to use rubber coated plates, then perhaps a similar post mounted on one's boat lift to store the plate(s) when not in use...could sell an extra with the boat for such purpose.

I see a pin in the end of the post, should have multiple pin holes so that if only one plate can be snug up against it and prevent it from sliding back and forth on the post potentially hitting the stern area hard. Better yet a friction based clamp as it would accomodate various width plates and any/all combos of plates. Would also have a larger flange on the attachment side to keep the circular plates from wobbling back/forth against the flange.

• Baller

I think I like the idea that @Dacon62 for the back seat better than that R&D version.

I am all for a hard core ski boat but that rear seating doesn't look all that inviting for the wife and kids while not skiing.

Ya ya I know, I am one of THOSE guys who actually uses his boat for more than just skiing.

• Baller_
What the rep said at Nationals was that they listened to the complaints of vinyl in various areas getting beat up. Such as the full length trunks that double as a sun pads and the full back seats. They just dont last when walking on them IMHO. I see in the drawing that you'd step on the backside if the little flip down but now your smashing the bottom of the seat in one small area with well over 100lbs on average and the back of the seat in the same area at the same time when stepping over. SN did away with the rear trunk. If SN had two rear split seats as a same priced option, I'd bet they'd sell more of the splits then full length. Always thought Infinity had forward thinking with their backseat configuration.

• Baller_
Actually, what would be cool with the split seats is to raise them up off the floor even more. The back of the seat would be higher but could flip down for skiing or whatever. The worst thing about back seats in any ski boat is your sitting basically on the floor. If someone is in them, no one is skiing and the passengers in the seat would higher and far more comfortable. My .02

• Baller
For anyone using their boat on other than a private lake maybe offer a water bladder system with pumps with one bladder in each of the rear storage compartments. Need about a 16 U.S. gallon bladder for each compartment to equal 3-45 lb. plates. Water is everywhere you go why not use that rather than dragging plates around.

Water takes up a lot of space. Iron weight, being much denser takes up a lot less. I have an X-2 with both hard tanks and Fly High bag ballast (2,100 lbs total). It makes the compartments unusable and makes servicing more difficult. A 45-lbs plate is easy to handle and takes up very little room. What has been shown here has my attention and likely approval. I cannot wait for Sunday when I get to see it in person.

• Baller

Suggest: Split rear seat option and an optional middle seat accessory which could make it work like a full bench.

@Wish - if they are higher with flip down backs, then everyone would just sit on the backs temporarily when in "skiing" mode. So, the back side of those seat backs should simply be made to be sat upon. Or.... Have them built such that the bottom of the back pulls out and forward and the top of the back slides down such that the surface of the back becomes the "sitting" surface when they are folded down....

• Baller
I don't live on a private lake. I'm definitely not going to plan on carrying around a bunch of plate weights all around the lake. Mastercraft used to offer the X-7. which was a 197 but with some wakeboard options on it. I wonder if there will be an X version of this boat where I would have the option of loading water ballast into the rear and/or the passenger side in order to help out the trick wake?