2013 Ski Nautique 200 Throttle Handle

ScarletArrow

• Baller_
I drove a 200 at a collegiate tournament today. Must have been one of the years that had this stiff throttle/detent issue. I did not like it and found it made the close quarters maneuvering more difficult. I hope they retrofit this particular boat. They are such good boats otherwise, but the throttle I had today was not good at all.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
I saw that post about the retrofit. I hope that boat gets it. I had read this thread previously and thought that maybe some were just being particular about some throttle finesse, etc. But, now that I have driven one, I understand their point. There is a real issue and it's not subtle. It affected my handling of the boat.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
So, quick question for those of you who have driven both the 13 and 14. Was the throttle improved from 13 to 14 at all? Looking at buying a 14 promo boat but my teenage girls pull me on a fairly tight lake so the throttle concerns me a bit. If the throttle issue persists on the 14, I might consider the prostar instead.

@jdk99‌ I bought a 14 promo and my throttle works fine. I was worried about it due to this thread, but after driving it, my worries were gone. I've had close to 10 people drive it and no one has had an issue. Test drive the boat first and then make your decision. PM me if you want my number, I'd be happy to talk more.

• Baller
I was driving my friend's 200, which I had not spent a lot of time in this year, and while I was maneuvering I went too far from reverse and ran it up into forward and obviously gave it way too much gas, and the observer who was up pulling in the rope, was sent into the back seat. I hadn't done that in like 30-years, and maybe the first time ever when it wasn't intentional. Bad design.

• Baller
I have a zillion hours on the pre-200 throttle, so jumping into a 200 every once in a while is a little challenge to work it smoothly. After a few skiers I am ok with it, but it is different, and I don't think in a good way.

• Baller

Why would you be lifting up on the safety to go into neutral? I've never had a issue with the boat going from forward to reverse or the other direction. I had 194 hours on my 14 with no problems.

I now have my new 15 and the throttle is completely different, all of you will love it.

• Baller
I was just "bumping" reverse, so on the return to neutral the lever either had not dropped down, or my reaction time in letting it go was too slow. Happened pretty fast, and I got it out of forward pretty quick too, but the change of direction sent my observer onto his butt in the back seat. I think in general, I am a pretty competent driver, after 37 years of driving them, and several years in an I/O on the river before I bought my first SN. I can't remember EVER doing this in another boat. Maybe it has just been dumb luck.

• Baller

@jdk99‌ Or if you found the boat you wanted then just swap in the 2015 throttle. I'm not sure this is apples to apples, but the 2013 and up Livorsi throttle in a Malibu is a $700 item. I was recently looking into a swap of my own to get rid of the ZF center button throttle that they used in the 2012 Malibu because the thing is such a pain to operate.

Might be worth calling your Nautique dealer, or see if your promo guy could get a deal on the newer throttle if it turns out to be an issue.

• Baller

Reviving this thread since we hear the current throttle is backwards compatible to solve the 2013-14 issue, which we agree is a dangerous one....

Has anyone bought the 2015+ throttle assembly and installed it themselves? How difficult is the job?

Anyone do it through a dealer and have a price estimate?

Thanks

• Baller

The current throttle is fly-by-wire to the transmission (and is an outstanding performing throttle box I might add), not compatible with the '13 and '14 that has a transmission cable . Make sure both detent set screws are backed out about flush with the housing on the throttle box, make sure that the transmission cable is not on any angle where it connects at the transmission and has a smooth loop. Put some good synthetic grease on both ends of the transmission cable and under the throttle handle.

Replacing the transmission cable with one a little shorter may help a lot as this causes a little different routing at the back end.