2013 Ski Nautique 200 Throttle Handle

ScarletArrow

• Baller

I've driven 2 new 200's this year and they both have the new throttle handle which is appears to be completely redesigned.

I don't like it.

The old throttle handle was spherical shaped while the new one is triangular, sits higher (bad ergonomics) and is very "sticky" - i.e. not real smooth getting in and out of gear.

Is my experience unique, or have others experienced this too?

• Baller
You can make it better. But it's still a terrible design. If you pull the engine cover and look at the shifter cable, you'll see a bracket that the sheath is attached to that's also bolted to the transmission. Chances are it's putting the cable in a bind. You can play with that brackets alignment to get a better shifter feel. Also, there is a tension adjustment set screw on the throttle itself. You can use an allen wrench to adust the drag on the sweep. Still, it's a terrible design.

• Baller_

I don't have a problem with how the throttle lever arm operates. I find it positive and a far safer design then the previous Teleflex / Morse. Some of the earlier boats in 13 had some linkage problems that stemmed back to PCM changing their selector valve arm on their transmissions. I talked to a Engineer at Nautiques over the weekend about the throttle ball/knob itself and that is what I do not like, digs into my hands after a few skiers.

Keep in mind the Centurion is utilizing the same throttle just a slightly different arm and knob. I dont like their throttle knob as it continues to have a sloppy loose feel where it is attached to the Arm.

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal, I haven't seen it or skied it so I don't know if it will, either. I guess I just built on the buzz and momentum. For full disclosure, I have always liked the Nautiques and have preferred their wake over the 190/197 for every model year since 1997.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@ScarletArrow I have had similar negative experiences with the new knob. The one on the particular boat I was driving also made it difficult to decipher when you were in/out of gear. It seemed as though it was almost a surprise to be in or out of gear when starting/dropping a skier.

• Baller_
The throttle cable will break in. It is touchy at first, but you will get used to it. It is a safer design as you can keep the throttle ball in your fingers while at skiing speeds with your arm comfortably on the arm rest, which in turn allows you to pull back on the throttle much more quickly in the event of an emergency. I didn't like it at first, but I like it better than the old throttle now. I do not need to swap out the boat underneath as suggested by @MISkier, but I like the way he thinks outside the box.

Lpskier

• Baller
I've driven 7 different '13 200s this year in tournaments or practice. All of them sucked. Some were downright dangerous. I was in the boat as a judge when a Sr 3 event driver who has driven multiple nationals couldn't get the throttle into reverse and hit the dock.

• Members
I just find it completely amazing Correct Craft would release the boat with that horrible throttle. It's the first thing I noticed when I drove my freinds 2013 promo. I'm a Nautique owner by the way, so not being a "hater".

• Baller
In addition, like @ShaneH said, Becky Lathrop (most of you know her) told me back early in the year that she returned her promo to the dealer telling him that the throttle has to be fixed before someone gets hurt. They are kinda dangerous.

Our 2013 promo does the same thing. We played with the cable and it is "better" but still very stiff. Was wondering if it was just our cable that was stiff but seems its a design flaw. Hopefully Nautique will make a fix for this problem if so many are having problems. This is our second "used" promo we have bought had a 2012 last year for a month and a half before selling it to pick up a 2013 in November. Anyone else notice the engine cover doesn't fit as well as the 2012 making the boat seem much louder? Boat still skis fine its just as if the quality control was a little bit lax during this batch (which is suprising since Nautique usually has such strict quality control)

• Baller

@Jordan The new handle has a shorter throw. This makes it easier for the driver to keep his/her hand comfortably on the throttle at all times, which in turn makes it easier for the driver to chop the throttle quickly in response to an emergency, or when a skier in practice is about to take a huge needless hit from a mile of slack at the exit gate. Likely a lot of the stiffness is a consequence of the lower mechanical advantage inherent with using a shorter throw to move the same linkages the same distance at the other end of the cable.

Actually, this doesn't answer your question. The throttle lever probably didn't "need" to be changed at all. Good question.

• Baller
Not to hijack the thread....but....our 2012 TXI has what I would consider the best throttle I have driven. I would hope they kept it the same for the 2013 and beyond. It is a short throw and a thumb actuated safety button top dead center on the knob. It is a very smooth engagement through the entire (short range) of the throttle.

• Baller
@skibug I was just going to say no matter how bad the 2013 CC throttle is it can't be worse than that center-button, binary Malibu throttle! :p Talk about dangerous- 1" of movement and you're at WOT. Can't stand it. I guess to each his own.

• Baller
I can easily "baby" someone up with the TXI; the 2013 SN200 throttle cable is so stiff I experience just the opposite @jhughes. It only takes 1" to engage the throttle and it seems to be all or none at that point. If you back off it during a pull up you are at risk of jerking around the skier. In the drops; it shuts down just as quick, no easing into the set down. None are perfect for everyone; but, I haven't talked to anyone that likes the 2013 SN200 throttle. More than anything, it is what @rico said, knowing whether you are in nuetral or not is the issue.

• Baller

Has this issue been made known on planetnautique? I don't go there as much as I used to, but I know the CC staff pay attention to what's being said over there.

I can't believe they wouldn't have some kind of test team before rolling out a significant change like that - why not have someone like Becky Lathrop or Jack Travers field test it first?

• Baller
Anthony, CC knows all about it. They feel it's safer. I've spoken to their Quality and Warranty manager as well as the R&D manager. Personally, I don't get their logic as I've seen way to many boats almost hit things because the driver couldn't find neutral and reverse. The 200 wasn't the only boat to get it. All of CC's boats got it. As well as that damn tree trunk thick steering wheel. For me, the feel of the boat was ruined because the two things I use to interface to it(the wheel and throttle) were changed. Good thing the boats don't have brakes, otherwise they probably would have went to a bigfoot brake pedal too. :)

• Baller_

What a lot of you are used to in past controls turns out to be very unsafe as the previous teleflex / morse control had deficiencies that in the long has potential to fail in the field. Lockout mechanisms that easily became un-functional.

The Malibu throttle was mentioned as problematic also, nothing like pulling the handle back up into neutral and having the center plunger pop up in the air or just plane quit communicating with the engine. I have replaced a number of these units in the last year.

Centurion too utilizes the same control as Nautique. However I think that the reason their are not as many complaints is because Centurion has a different throttle ball on top that is more friendly and is what we are all used too in what we feel at the control.

I just picked up the Masters 200 that pulled slalom. This boat has 225 hours and it needed just a little adjustment at the transmission and now IMOP has an exceptional feel in and out of gear and while driving by hand. I like the new control just dont like the throttle ball on top.

• Baller

My bud just picked up a 2013 promo, so will be checking this out soon.

Will the old throttle lever retro fit over the new one? How about a custom "ball"?

I use to have a larger custom Walnut ball that I kept moving from boat to boat that was so much better than the little ball on the stock lever.

I have the same complaints about it and also find that it is not very linear in it's acceleration. The boat I drove this last weekend had a dead spot of about an inch once it was in gear. Once you hit the place where the power starts, it all seemed to be in about an inch of throttle movement. You need to be very careful with it.

I've also found the same problem on the Malibu. All the throttle in too short a range of movement.

Is this adjustable?

• Baller
I have driven many of the 2013's and had one until last weekend myself. There is no question the throttle takes a little getting used to but certainly no reason to toss the boat up on Craigs List or stay away from buying one. Still the best driving (and skiing) boat on the market as of today.

• Baller
I've been a CC guy since 85 when I bought my first one. I'm looking for an upgrade and it will be a CC. The throttle issue isnt a deal breaker, but there should be no question about being in gear or not. The old style handle/ knob was good so why replace with something that feels a bit off?

• Baller
I spent one day this weekend driving a '12 and the next driving a '13. @Andy, there is no question as to whether or not the boat is in gear, the pullback into neutral has a stiffer hurdle than the '12. I quickly adjusted to the throttle in the '13, I tended to hold it slightly differently... loved driving them both.

@behindpropellers‌ take a look at the cable that attaches to the back of the transmission. I would start by disconnecting the cable from the trany linkage, it disconnects with a quick disconnect fitting. Then cycle the throttle and determine if it is still too stiff. If it is I can email you the instructions of adjusting the resistance in the throttle assembly. If the throttle feels smooth then you need to look for any bend in the way the cable attaches to the trany linkage. I was able to bend the mounting point slightly to take some binding out of this linkage.

The new 2015 boats have a new throttle and it is backwards compatible with the 2013/2014 boats. You can always call your dealer and get a price for the new throttle.

We removed the base of the throttle from the side of the boat and using allen wrenches, adjusted the tightness of the stick/rollers/cables. It is definitely improved. BUT, it is still a terrible design. The throw on the stick is short, which is real nice pulling skiers, but the 2" dead spot after clicking into gear before the rpm's increase to pull out of the hole is annoying. I like Malibu's which is almost immediate. But, once I've gotten used to the timing of the dead spot, I don't mind it anymore.

Clicking in/out of N and R & D is very annoying; you have to be careful not to hold the lock up (like most of us felt comfortable doing on the Morses) when moving the stick back & forth and simply just grab the top knob only and jam it back/forth into N. It will definitely stick in the detent. If you hold the lock while shifting, the transmission is so smooth, you won't feel it shift into the opposite gear as you slide right past N. It is easy to almost run into the dock when first getting used to because the stick is stiff.

It is shameful that for this kind of money for what is truly a top-quality boat, that PCM and CC have sold us something that requires us to jury-rig it in the field to make it safer and easier. Shame on them. If there truly is a better throttle coming on 2015's, they should man-up and give it to the rest of us.

Throttle aside, this is the best tracking boat on the water, by far. Tracks through the course with short-line skiers like it's on railroad tracks.