How to get good DFT measurement?

Bill22

• Baller

Is there a video on BOS or youtube of how to correctly measure a fin?

I am a rookie at setting a fin. I am able to get consistent length and depth measurements. But with the DFT measurement, I found that if the calipers are just a very small amount off level with the ski, the #’s can vary. BTW I am just setting my ski to stock. I know newbies are not supposed to adjust from stock #.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a link in the FAQ to a good ski setup video.

• Baller
Slot caliper is the easiest. Agreed,it's the toughest measurement to get right consistently. Just try to hold the caliper tight against the bottom of the ski. For me it's easier to stand the ski on its tip while taking the measurement.

• Baller
I have always wondered...the bottom back of the ski is beveled. Do you measure to the initial curvature of the bevel on the bottom of the ski or do you just slide the caliper until it hits the bevel wherever it happens to land on the back of the ski?

• Baller

I was too cheap to buy a real slot caliper so I made my own. Regardless of the design, there are some crucial steps to maintaining consistent measurements. This is my method... First, look at the angle of the calipers when you lay them flat on the ski and try to measure DFT. Hold it flat on the ski but don't bow the calipers down. Raise the calipers up the fin trying to keep that same angle and zero the calipers. Close the calipers and they should display a negative number. WRITE THAT NUMBER DOWN because that is your new set point for all measurements to come.

Since I just cut a cheapo HF caliper, I use that as my dedicated DFT caliper so the set point never changes but if it does, I can put it right back and get the exact same DFT measurement I had before.

• Baller_

To measure DFT from the true tail of the ski, the EZ Fin tool will provide a method to correctly measure DFT by providing a jig that allows the calipers to be correctly used to measure a distance. All the methods using the head of the caliper only provide a reference number as the head thickness is not calibrated and is not designed or machined to be used as a measurement surface.

It is unfortunate proper measurement techniques have not been established to generate a set of accurate measurement methods rather than establishing an easy method to generate a number (which in many cases is not an accurate number for that measurement) which gets thrown about as an indication of the length or DFT. Depth is the only measurment that tends to be accurately recorded and reported.

PS: jaws measurements also fall in to the same category.

• Baller
Jaws for length is a real measurement, depth is a real measurement ( it's called a "step measurement " with the calipers) . The closest you can get to a real DFT is a step measurement: the thickness of the caliper, the amount of concave, and the radius of the tail will create variances. Press your thumb in the same place and try to press with the same pressure on top of the caliper head. My brother used to test for secret items going into space, says when you get 2 the same, that's what you go with. He also has an awesome set of tools.

Thanks DW, I designed the EZFintool for myself and everyone else that needed a easy way to get accurate, consistent DFT

measurements. A bonus is measuring depth without removing the wing. @Bill22

Check it out at ezfintool.com might be something that could help you.

• Baller
One thing that I really appreciate is Rossi doing those videos. It was massively helpful! In my quest for achieving stock settings which has so far been the best for me, it really helps to know how your ski manufacturer measures their fins and what kind of calipers they use.

• Baller_

@Drago: You can't be certain that all calipers can zero the jaws portion & nobody has a standard for the perpendicular distance (or step height) from the ski surface at the fin slot due to differences in concavity between skis. The EZ fin tool as an example takes out all the variables you mention and allow one to measure the distance from the true or very tail to the trailing edge of the fin.

If you want to use numbers from measurement methods such as jaws or using the caliper head as a comparative measurement as you make changes or feel you can communicate that to someone else, that is fine, but it is not the true measurement of that distance unless you define it as such (jaws would be x.xxx @ x.xx off ski surface similar to how camshaft duration is measured which has been standardized to degrees @.050" lift in the USA)

• Baller

@h2oski is the mfg.

It doesnt give you a factory dtf measurement you need to set as accurately as possible the dft with out the tool swap in the tool and then make a measurement and find an offset. from there it can be used as a reference.

Any small square will give you this effect so long as you arent seeing to measure depth without removing the wing.