06 Malibu Response re-power

addkerr

• Baller

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on re-powering our 06 Malibu Response. Had the boat since new. Running the monsoon 340 on LPG. Current hours around 3600hrs. About to compression test it to see where we stand but recently a few issues have occurred that have worried me that it wont last another season. Its not an option to have a boat down during the season so the re-power would be down this winter.

My concerns lie with not the engine but transmission issues. Has anyone any advice that the transmission is good for another 3000hrs or will we start to see some issues with that, or any other part of the boat for that matter.

Any opinions appreciated

Thanks

• Baller_

I dont Think I would repower in your situation unless money is not a factor. provided you have taken reasonable care of the engine in the boat now and you run on fresh water I would consider a new long block and just install all the pull off components, intake and exhaust wire harness etc from the current engine. Hurth 1:1 transmissions are actually cheaper to buy new then rebuild... At least here in the US.

A new long block here in the states will run around $3200, add in a transmission $2200 and a drive plate $100 you have another 3000 hour package. of course you might want to rebuild the raw water pump and change out a few sensors and sending units.

• Baller

Thanks @jody_seal I can get hold of a long block pretty easily but trans may be an issue. Will do some research and speak with my dealer. Compression tested today and VERY down in 2 cylinders.

Been an awsome work horse but the girl is getting tired. She hasnt taken slalom skiers since 2000 hrs but wedge down with few riders in the boat is too much now. Huge backfire and cut out for a while the other day.

Second hand market in the UK Is very poor at the moment so selling is an issue, and pointless to break.

Thanks Again