Clemson Ski Team featured on ESPNU tonight

MattP

• Baller

The Clemson Waterski Team is being featured on ESPNU tonight (Wednesday the 4th) at 7:30PM on the show Road Trip! Check it out! Clemson is the current D2 National Champion a member of the South Atlantic Conference in the Eastern Region of the NCWSA.

This is great exposure of our sport as well as highlighting collegiant skiing!

Check your local listings

• Baller
@mattP so you are saying that ULL, Bama, Flordia Southern, Rollins, ASU...... are all pro teams? True, ULM is pretty loaded with "pros" but the rest of them are just a bunch of good skiers. Winner of Div2 is 13th place.

• Baller
&ntx but the Div 2 program keeps a LOT more teams engaged thru out the season! The NIT basketball champ may not have the same press at the NCAA Div 1 champ but they're still champs. In this case the Clemson team trumped ULM in terms of media coverage. More power to them!!!

• Baller
ULM gets enough fame as it is. I think its awesome to recognize Clemson as national champs. After all Nate Smith wont get mad when you call daniel di pol the national champ because they are in different divisions. I know it doesnt work seamlessly but you cant knock on someone for winning their division. Thats super cool

• Baller

@ntx Did you ski in college?

Count the number of National/Region Champs, open ratings, and International titles those team members share. I am friends with skiers at each of those schools and they are very talented athletes for sure. I'm not saying they don't deserve the recondition as a National Champ as they do.

Clemson skiers are able to ski because skiing is an intramural sport and the team members have to pull beginners. As far as I know they do not get tuition assistance. They ski on a public lake and don't have a coach. They have talented skiers as well as the traditional college skiers who are just learning the sport for the first time. They are a true team that spreads our sport to new skiers they are not there nurturing their own talent.

Call me biased I ski for and the president& founder of a D2 team in the SAC.

• Baller

@KcSwerver the only differance between Daniel and Nate is about six years in age. I bet if you ask Daniel, he might say he is the B3 National Champ. The divsion that he skied in. Had the broadcast said Div 2 national champs, no problem. Thats like saying the winner of the NBAD league is on par with the Heat. Or, the INT league on par with AWSA. They each have there place but make sure others understand what it is.

Do you know why they were in Div 2?

• Baller

@ntx

Rollins, FSC and Bama were D1

Clemson finished 4th in the Region and was placed in D2

Selection of Nationals Teams

Each Region will qualify it’s top 5 teams for Nationals by order of placement at their respective Regionals. Teams finishing in the top 3 at Regionals will be awarded “DIVISION I” status at the Nationals and be allowed to compete for the coveted “NCWSA National Championship”. Teams finishing 4th and 5th at Regionals will make up “Division II” at Nationals where they will compete for the “NCWSA

Division II Championship”. Two wildcard spots will be given based on the following conditions. One (1) team will be picked based on the Region whose DII teams had the highest average at the previous year’s National. The second team will be pick by a simulated tournament in which three (3) teams from each region (not already attending Nationals) will have their average scores from that fall season put into a simulated tournament. The team which wins the tournament clinches the final wildcard spot. The winner of Division I shall be named and recognized as “NCWSA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS”. The winner of Division II shall be named and recognized as “NCWSA DIVISION II CHAMPIONS”. Under no circumstance shall there be more than one “NATIONAL CHAMPION” except in the highly remote case of a tie in Division I whereby the top 2 teams would share the title as “Co-National Champion.

• Baller

@mattP No, I did not ski in college. I am however, supporting one that does now. And no, they don't have the things that ULM does. The are very much like Clemson, They get no help from the school, no scholarships, no coach, and pay tons for a practice site. They pay all travel expenses out of pocket. The only reason Clemson was not in divsion 1, is that they did not have the talent required to compete in Div 1. That is the only differance between Div 1 & 2. The top 12 teams are Div 1 the rest are Div 2.

In the past, teams have sandbagged at regionals to be placed in Div 2

I just wish that the broadcast had been more accurate.

fyi Looked like the guy could have gotten up. He rode his butt on the water a long time. STAND UP DUDE. LOL

@ntx The broadcast should have mentioned D2 before national champions but apparently they decided to cut that out. We had an extremely limited amount of filming time that was cut even shorter by a rain delay. Unfortunately, both Niki and Ali were only allowed two tries at getting up. Ali made it a full 19.5 seconds on his butt! This show was a great experience, and it exposed not only our ski team, but also the passion and pride that is throughout the university as a whole. GO TIGERS!

• Baller

@MattP If I am not mistaken, the info you are getting off the NCWSA website may be incorrect. I think changes were made in the selection process prior to last years Nationals. It looks like the doc was last updated in2011. I think only the winner of regionals gets a automatic D1 bid. Last year D1 had a total of 12 teams. The break down was. East/3 West/1 Midwest/6 South Central/2

Again, maybe I am wrong, but I think the process was changed to avoid a team from sandbagging at regionals for a spot in D2.

I would get in touch with Jeff Surdej

• Baller

@ntx Yes I believe the changes were implemented last year. I do not remember the exact details off the top of my head. I will tell you this Clemson was not sand bagging. I skied against them every weekend and know their skiers potential. If that is what you are worried about.

The new system seems to work prevent the occasional sandbagging team.

I digress you can go on and on. I really dont want to argue with you over this. D1 is D1 D2 is D2 and they are both respective National Champions. Clemson was the best in D2 and that says a lot for them and their program.

College skiing is about keeping the youth involved as well as exposing the sport to new skiers. I think Clemson accomplished this very well this past year.

• Baller

@MattP I never said that Clemson sandbagged. I said that I think changes were made to avoid that. Which, based on the selection and numbers of the teams from each region, looks like it put the strongest teams in D1 regardless of which region thay came out of. Thats why the west had 1 team and the Midwest had 6 teams. Top 12 teams, D1 the rest D2

Again, glad to see the exposure but wish it had been more truthfull. I guess the media does that. Puts a spin on things to meet whatever agenda they may have.

@MattP unfortunately road trip is an under promoted show that does not have any online episodes. I do have an online version that I can show you at tournaments but we're not allowed to share it because it is commercial free. We're working on getting just the skiing portion onto youtube or something of that nature. Again theres one last chance to see the show at 4:30 ET tonight on ESPNU