Need a new stick! Help Please ( Vapor , Prophecy, Quest)

34mph

• Baller

I have been on A Radar Strada ( 2010/ Silver) for last 2-3 years I have made great progress with it. My PB this summer was 4 1/2 at 22 off , 34 mph . I have been working on my off side turn and turn to 1st wake. I'm looking for something to give me a little more speed and width. I was thinking at 1st no brainer just stick with Radar and get the vapor. After I was doing some reading now looking at the prophecy. Thinking of getting a 13 on ski it again , or maybe hold out for a 14 . Any insight on the 14? ( might beable to get from a ski buddy who knows a person that works for connelly at cost) Was also maybe looking at the Quest (1 3)

I would rather buy a slightly used ski it - again and ride it and see if I like it.

I'm on Fluid motions quattros (double) now. Was thinking of changing these also because cant really easy adjust binding forward. I'm looking at either the new FM E doubles or the reflex doubles or even try the Reflex with there RTP like boot ( might help keep me on my front foot more.

Sorry for going on and on. And I know ski and bindings are a per feelings but trying to get some insight. Demo would be best I know but don't have the cash for new prices so thinking of just going ski it again for everything this winter.

Thanks

• Baller

I love new equipment as much as if not more than the next guy but given the level you are at I don't think new equipment is going to make a huge difference on the speed and width front. The Strada you are on is already a fast ski and if you are struggling with speed and width it is likely a technique issue not a ski issue.

If cash is tight and you really can't get the binding in the right spot on the ski I would look at a binding change and spend whatever is left on a trip to ski school.

• Baller

I was in your shoes just 3 years ago. I anti-ed up knowing I was hooked in this sport and demo tested a GOODE ski and Powershell 5 bindings, Also tested a Strada and an A2. I am now on my 3rd GOODE in 3 years, LOVING IT!!!!! And I Practice PB'ed 5 @ 38' OFF at 34.2 MPH yesterday!!!!!!

Now, not to say new equipment will make everything happen, but I was on REALLY POOR EQUIPMENT...... (HO Phantom Truth and Animal Bindings, no speed control, and a 1987 no name inboard ski boat........).

I changed my equipment, boat, speed control, and live on a puddle with a course. That all came together at once and I couldn't see myself going back to anything else.

My 2 cents, demo a ski, nothing but some shipping lost.

You could call Rick @ 1-888-GO-GOODE and see what might work for you if you like the results that 34 MPH skiers seem to have on these skis. You can always send it back if you don't like it, or you find that it doesn't create that "room for growth" that you are thinking it will. For me that was evident when I test rode one, it had room for me to grow.........

• Baller
Thanks guys , so never been a fan of the goodes that I have riden but maybe a new one would be a diff story. I should have stated yes always working on forum and improving but I fig that in 4 years the tec in the newer skies would give you an advantage.

• Baller
@34mph I would demo a few skis. One will feel like you have room to grow, and if they don't, just stick to your current equipment. If you haven't skied a GOODE for a month, you might not have gotten past the "how do I ski this thing" especial if it was a change from soft to hard shells........

• Baller

2011 Strada was considered an improvement over 2010. 2012 was lighter. 2013 said to be better than priors... Just FYI...

2013/14 Connelly Prophecy - been told they are same ski, no changes

2013/14 D3 Quest - same ski

2014 Radar Vapor - all new ski

2013 HO A3 - many love this ski

2014 HO A3 - different texture to bottom

then, there are the Mapples and Goodes...

All of these top skis can run past -38 with a skilled rider. Heck any of these skis should get through -28 with a skier who sort of knows about outbound handle control.

There is no 1 ski that will make a -22 off skier magically bust through -28. But there are skis that allow a skier to have a good platform to learn solid stance/stack and handle control to push past -28. It is a matter of finding one that supports and rewards good habits and matches your style/liking.

• Baller

I've been debating between the 2013 orange strada and the vapor so that's very interesting insight on the orange vs green/yellow Strada @Jody_seal. Thanks!

@34mph Is there currently something with your skiing that is your nemesis? For example... I ultimately went to a Strada after realizing the faults in the equipment vs my personal attributes. First, I was on a 66" Radar Annex, weighing 175lbs, and skiing at 28-30mph. The ski was too small for me at 32-36mph so everyone agreed that I really needed a bigger ski. Ended up buying an old Radar MPD and made a lot of improvement pretty quickly. Although the size was right, I felt like the ski didn't have the forgiveness I needed and if I got on the front, the ski would shut me down and it really frustrated me. The Strada provided more forgiveness and kind of a safety net when getting on the front so that's how I ended up with it.

• Baller

Again, what don't you like about your current ski? Wrong size and looking to upgrade while getting the right size? Not supportive enough in the turns? Not forgiving enough?

Like has been said before, a new ski won't magically make you run -28 or -32 off if you're struggling at -22 off. However, a new/different ski may better suit your needs more than your current ski. We need to know what those needs are though.

I will definitely admit that getting a new ski and/or boots can help you find the right form faster because it did with me. However, you have to be able to identify what your needs are or you'll just be blindly spending money on new equipment that may leave disappointed and discouraged.

Save your money - you are on a ski that can get you into short line. Get coaching, then get some more coaching. In my opinion, having been in a very similar position, you may pick up a ball or two with the feel of a new ski. Or, you can get good coaching and ski better at the line/buoy count you are at, and then advance rapidly.

• Baller
Ok I will explain my problems right now as best as I can. I feel great on my on side ( LFF) have a great turn good hook up and turn to ball . plenty early for 2 and 4 however feel no matter how early are start my turn I feel like the turn is just not there . more slack I have to pull in and not as good of a angle coming of the turn to get wide. I think the strada i have is quick i just dont think my off side turn is great and or the deceleration to set up the turn. I dont know if that will help at all. Thanks

• Baller

IMO, a new ski will not help you there unless you or someone else has been tampering with your fin from it's original settings or your ski is too large/too small. If fin problems are the case, a new ski may help you because you went back to standard settings but it's an expensive solution. If the ski is the wrong size, by all means, get something that fits you! Even the pro's have a good side and a bad side but with proper technique, the off side turn can be tamed and be very close to the on side turn.

Like @jp said, get some lessons if you can. If not, at least get some video up on here and let the guys here give you some pointers to work on.

• Baller
I was on a 2011 strada. Went to a d3 x7. Then to a mapple 6.0. I'm much more consist on those skis than on the strada. 6.0 is low effort which is the only reason I moved on from the X7, I can get a lot more passes in on the 6.0 which should help me advance faster.