Gekko boats

swc5150

• Baller
I'm pretty excited to check out the Gekko line up. Just looking at their website, the 20 looks like a nice boat for under $30k (makes me wonder what the out-the-door price would be). Amazing that it can be optioned with the 550hp motor. That must that boat a rocket ship. Are any ballers considering a Gekko, or are you more comfortable with a used big 3 tug? I have no prior experience in one, so I'm also curious if anyone has any thoughts on performance / build quality?

• Baller
Skied a GTR22 for 5 years and put on 700 hours. Tracks like it is on a rail -- great for your driver. Wakes are low, but a bit hard on the curl. Still, I loved the boat and thought that for the money I got a lot of value. Also, because it is a 96 inch beam and has the walk-over bow, it has an amazing amount of storage space.

• Baller

The 20 is small...I know 20 but it's like malibu sportster size.

The GTR-22 is a cool boat. I skied and footed behind @razorskier1's a bunch. Super tracking, zippo spray, high top end speed, wake a little hard. Love the looks of the long/low boat. Easy to take some water over the nose but to me the cool looks worth it. Interior materials not as nice...seats kinda firm, lower end carpet etc at least back then...but if lower cost have to cut somewhere. The materials all held up, though, so I don't think it's a build quality problem...just that the materials are not as nice.

As always cost is an issue. Hmm...new Moomba or Gekko or a couple year old big 3 same cost. I end up in the big 3 if equivalent $.

Will be interesting to see where the price point is located for purchases.

• Baller
@oldjeep I consider some of the older Moomba's real ski boats. Have you seen their latest lineup? Now they are just giant wakeboard boats. I don't know how much they talk about skiing but with towers that mount 3-4 feet behind the ski pole, you can't seriously expect to get into any serious skiing without the rope hitting the tower.

I owned a GTR22 for 5 years. To date it was the best ski boat I've owned. Doesn't have the interior fit and finish of the big 3... But it's a serious ski boat. Tracks/drives great, and has a nice flat ski wake. My only issue was the low bow which makes it easier to take on water up front.... i ended up getting a custom snap tarp for the front which eliminated that problem.... Only removed it when out with the family.

• Baller

The Outback used to be Moomba's answer to the big three and marketed as the middle class working mans boat. Problem is they just keep falling farther and farther behind with it. We used to own a nice 06 Outback. And if you're an open water skier that wants a decent wake then by all means it's a good DD boat for you.

Moomba needs to add PP or ZO to the boats to even think they can compete. They don't, so you must and with that you must consider the cost of the upgrade.

I hope the Gecko does go above and beyond and get into the mix as not everyone can afford what some of these new boats are worth or can pay the asking price for them.

Hell even promo boats aren't cheap!!!!!

• Baller

@oldjeep Depressing isn't it? Maybe you can snag a really good deal on a 2013 outback though since they obviously didn't feel like those boats were selling well enough to continue the line.

@skihard I wouldn't have any issues installing ZO or PP on a boat that doesn't have it. In my mind it's kind of like paying $60k for a Lexus with sat nav or paying $30k for a Toyota with the same engine/transmission, slightly less attractive looks, slightly less comfortable, and then paying $200 for a stand alone GPS device.

• Baller
If you want to use a v-drive for serious skiing, I highly recommend one of the Bennett's hydraulic wakeplates. Added one of those to my old no name DD boat. Turned a boat with a harsh double bump into a smooth wake similar to our clubs 99 closed bow nautique and it only cost me about $500.

• Baller
Agree with @6balls and @rod0041. I had a 2007 GTR22 and in 2008 got a 2007 Response LXI. The interior of the Gekko is no where near as plush. However the wake and tracking for slalom were maybe better because the boat was smaller and lighter. The Gekko is a great boat for doing the course, big lake boating goes to the bigger Malibu though. At the price for pure slalom the Gekko was hard to beat.