Looking to repower for ZO (Discount Inboard Marine)?

PT Mike

• Members
Boat is a 96' PS 190 Discount Inboard Marine has a MPI 305 that puts out 308 HP & has e control for $8120 has anyone gone this route? Boat currently has the standard 275HP TBI motor. My current set up should be sellable, it was rebuilt a few years ago, closed cooling, PPSG etc. Occasionally people pop up on Team Talk looking for a motor. They buy a project boat that was used in salt and everthing is trashed, pulleys, mounts the works. I figure my set up complete less the tranny is worth 3K delivered. I dont want to upgrade to a ZO boat for a few reasons: 1- Being from Long Island,NY and running in salt my boat is really hard to sell. 2- I love my boat. 3- I just got a new galvanised trailer.4- I would have to travel to find the right boat,& it probably wont have closed cooling. 5- I refuse to own an open bow so that has its limitations. 6- I'll say it again, i love my boat, it fits the bill as bare bones ski tug. drives and skis great, Easy to maintain, no trunk, excess vinyl, and bling to worry about. Looking for any input or suggestions. Thanks.

• Baller_

We have done many re-power's here at Florida Inboards inc. All kinds of hulls. It is pretty straight forward but their are pit Falls to avoid. You will need to feed the engine , may need to reconfigure the fuel supply system at the tank, Exhaust hoses and probably fuel line's will need to be replaced and or moved. then their is the electronic adaptation. You will need to utilize the engine mounts from your old engine. probably need to change out the drive plate as well. I dont think you will be happy with a 305 when for about $900 more you can have a 343 Excalibur 5.7/350 sitting on your shop floor, it will also run more efficient then a 5.0/305. You may be sitting on your pull out engine package for a while trying to get $3K. $1500 will be more the realistic price however the the pull out PP could be worth up to $700 on ebay or ski it again.

My .02 cents !