Reflex boot spacing

Chuck_Dickey

I am switching from HO's EXO Pro's to a Reflex front and a Radar Strada rear. My question is the Radar rear pushed all the way forward puts about a 1" gap between my boots. Any farther forward and it appears to interfere with the Silveretta release mechanism, any ideas?

If I cut off the front of the Strada rear it would just expose my toes and put them just under the release mechanism and might smash my toes when activated in a fall.

• Baller
My toes actually touch the release mechanism with a RTP if I wiggle my foot in far enough. The only times I've ever hurt my foot is when I blow the tail and slide over the ski after it's already come off. Even then, it's never been anything that would prevent me from putting the ski back on and finishing the set.

• Baller

bringing this to the top as I'm considering going with a Reflex system and R style rear. Currently on double vapor's with my boots as close as possible. Concerned I wont be able to get my boots this close with the reflex system..

Is it possible to get an R style rear binding as close as I have my radar's without interfering with the release? I'd be going with the newer 850 release if that matters.

Post up your binders and any mods you've had to make to spacing the r style. thanks!

• Baller

thanks @parkerc2112 @horton I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been, although you confirmed something else I was thinking about with respect to the release hitting the boot.

Can you get your rear boot/rstyle/rtp touching or close to touching the back of the front boot? I'm concerned I wont be able to get my feet as close as I currently have them, but perhaps that is not as big an issue???

• Baller

A few thoughts:

Go to either 1/2 rears like the reflex-r or radar HRT or an rtp. If the front releases and your rear foot stays in - that will be bad...

Second, whatever you decide to use as a rear boot make sure the silveretta binding can release cleanly and the shell can lift out cleanly. Easy to test this at the dock. My silveretta binding will contact my HRT rear if released, but it provides enough clearance for the heel of the shell to lift out.

Don’t worry about your toes being under the release arms as if you have an OTF your rear foot is out before the front releases - atleast that has been my experience.

• Baller
Over time, the rubber from the Wiley rtp has stretched to the point I think my rear foot is too close to front reflex boot thus reducing smear. Going to order another rtp(backup) and new rubber overlay for current rtp. Nothing worse than being stuck with no backup. Murphy’s law.

• Baller
@Horton. I have a xl Wiley rtp, even though I only wear 10.5 E width shoe. It’s because my arch/instep is so high and foot is so wide I couldn’t get my foot in a large far enough to feel secure. I’m at the screw placement we’re I can’t move the plate back anymore. My toes almost touch my front reflex boot.

• Baller
@parkerc2112 on the Wiley RTP you can move the rubber loop back on the plate so the plate would not have to be moved all the way back. Also Wiley’s makes a wide RTP that might be better for you. They sell XL, XXL, back they can sell you a size L if you ask them.