The skier who will not be named is heading to 5 ball.

Horton

• Administrators

For the record the judges did the right thing and gave the skier (whoever he is) a piece of 5 because they could not be sure. I forget is the final score was 4.25 or 4.5.

• Supporting Member

Am I missing something? Entire spray line is inside the ball; couldn't possibly have gone around that ball. Clearly 4.

That said, calling it in real time from a different angle it might have been unclear and so of course I would have given benefit of doubt to the skier. So I'm not saying any judges were wrong but FROM THESE SHOTS it's an obvious 4, no?

• Baller_
That is an odd place for a handle to fail. Also notice that he goes from full sun to a shadow right before the ball. Guessing if the tower is on the opposite side of the course, they would be looking into the sun or close. Shadows of the observers on shore seem to look that way. If it was on the same side that could be a problem as well in the shadows.

• Baller
His body position doesn't appear any different in the last frame than the frame before. And judging by the spray off the ski, it doesn't appear that the path of the ski was ever greatly disturbed either. Amazing how people can see completely different things in the same photo.

Called it 4... Mostly because, I figured if the ski had been outside the ball, you would not have been able to see it- the spray would have eclipsed. Could have been an inner side strike too, which would also be 4. But without video or better vantage... 4.5 is probably the decent call to make. I value 1/4 buoys, becasue it shows scrappiness (or blatant disregard for personal safety...) but, if the handle is in the hands past the ball at anything shorter than about -22, the ski has already penetrated the course and you get a half or one...

• Baller

At real time speed I probably would have gone 4.5 depending on where I was judging from. Based on the picture it is hard to tell when the rope snapped. Based on the goes to the runner in real time I probably would have gone 4.5.

From the picture I think he was inside the ball so for the poll I went 4 but at full speed I probably would have gone 4.5

• Baller
Seems to be 4.25 in my opinion. From the pictures, it looks like the spray is outside of the ball and he clearly let go of the handle before crossing back past the buoy line toward the wakes. Boat judge would have the best look at if the skier made it inside or outside of the ball. I think even in real time a judge could see that it was a quarter not a half.

• Baller_

Zero, plus 4. The video shows he missed the entrance gates and the camera shows he clearly skied inside 5 ball.

From the angle of the camera, its a clear miss. If the judges were on the opposite shore, they could not see and the "correct" score would have been 4 1/4.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Evidence says 4, the ball would not be visible in the wake coming off the ski had the ski gone outside the ball. The tip may well have hit the ball, but the carving edge of that ski definitely went inside the ball.

In real time that would be tough.....and if he held onto the baton/handle back to the wake I would give him 5.

• Baller
I think @Horton posts these photos to stir the pot. They're never taken from the actual judging tower. i.e. at least 3m above the water surface. From the pictures, you can't accurately judge the pass as there is never a shot of where the front foot is when crossing the C-D and X-Y axis. More importantly, @matthewbrown let's hear about your last zoo visit.

• Baller

4 from the first set of pics...looks like inside of 5. In real time moving fast and not replay or slo-mo would be hard to say. Further in the thread there was video to completion.

From only the first set of pics 4 inside of 5. Knowing things happen fast and I wouldn't have pics but that's all I got if he got around 5 would expect 4.25. Looking at the video then further in the thread with real time speed, no replay etc probably would have given him 4.5 cuz wouldn't have been able to tell went inside of 5.

So...score 4. Gates geez now I gotta go back and look again...ok you can't see gates on that vid. With all available info on this thread...4.

• Baller

@ALPJr the handle is not broken. Must be @horton bad photoshop skills. After he edited to made it look like I missed 5 ball, he screwed up the handle somehow.

But in all seriousness, that handle did not break and I went on to use it the next round and beyond.

• Baller

Run over is a miss and this appears very run over. How about side by side pics of a clearly made ball versus this one, just for clear reference? Should run over now be considered 1/4?

Are we leaning more toward rule change on ball count to help get scores correct and avoid issues like the Moomba/Nate controversy?