Single boot w/RTP setup vs. double boot

countymountie

My question to you guys is, what is the difference and or possible advantages between the two different binding setups?

I'm sure I'll get a lot of "personal preference" answers, but the has to be some difference that has made you go with one setup over the other. As a side note, it appears that I see more skiers going back to single boot. ??

The reason that I ask is currently I'm on double Stadas ( going back as far as when they were RS1s) and I'm thinking about going to a Reflex / RTP. My back foot is cramping up for some reason after a few passes and I think I could get more forward easier with a single boot.

Thanks

• Baller

Starts are,easier with a rtp. I don't like my heel moving side to side with rtp, so i use a loose Strada back boot. This allows my heel to come up a little while I ski. I guess I should use a rtp with a heel cup like I used to use a long time ago. Advocates of clamped on back boot state it helps their edge control.

It is a personal choice and you really should try both.

• Baller

I felt like I wasn't ever able to really get good body position with double boots because my back boot wouldn't allow my ankle to bend far enough forward. Obviously, many people can get into the right position with doubles but I just felt like I couldn't. Once I got a RTP and Reflex boot, body position came fairly easily for me. Could be coincidence but who knows...

I don't like the feel of a normal RTP so I got Radar's RTP which feels like a sandle since it has a heel cup molded into it so I can't slide around.

From a 15 off perspective, early in the learning curve I fell, and I fell a lot. At the time I had RTP. Almost always the rear foot came out and the front foot stayed in. Seems like my shin was a magnet for the flailing ski. Ask Seal how many times I'd get in the boat with blood gushing down my leg. He kept several towels handy when I was tagging along, he always complained about the first time I got blood all in his boat. Not to mention the potential for tweaking an ankle or knee. I went to double Stradas and the problem went away. I've fallen MANY times in double Stradas. In every case its been both in or both out without incident. I rarely fall anymore and can see why seasoned skiers do not consider this aspect but I have the scars to remind me that I'll never go with the RTP again.

I tried a double rubber but had little to no heel lift and that made starts quite a bit harder. I switch to stradas (more for my feet not cramping than the starts) and since you can move the heel a bit and I ran them loose anyway, starts were easy and I really liked the feel. Occasionally the bungee would come undone and I didn't like that feeling at all so figured RTP wouldn't feel right either (at least without some getting used to).

I recently switched to a reflex and r-style. I'm liking the r style so far. Some people said they like to wear it with a tall liner and strap to make it feel tight and more like you're in a boot. Some people modified theirs to put another bungee to make it feel a bit tighter. I tried both, but then just started using it it as-is and like it just fine still. The extra bungee feels good but at least in dry testing, it felt like a little more potential for a partial or non-release for me (plus it's harder to get the liner in). I skied just fine without it so I'm just leaving it off.

That said for the cost of it I wonder if I couldn't have just gotten used to an RTP, but c'est la vie.

I'm not sure that either setup has an advantage over the other besides comfort/feel. I learned with a RTP, then switched to double rubber boots for about 7 years before returning to the RTP. With each switch it probably took me 10 sets or so to get comfortable with the change, and was able to run the same scores with each setup.

• Baller
I switched last year from double hard shells to a reflex front/RTP. I'm not going to lie..... it took a while to adjust. Probably 20 sets or more before I really started to feel comfortable. Going to a rear toe plate should not effect where you ride the ski. So it's not going to allow you to get more forward at the apex, as that should be controlled with your hips, ankles and knees. When I'm riding it right, my rear heel is planted in the turns. Where a rtp(or even the R rear) makes a difference is off the 2nd wake into the edge change. A rtp allows the ski to rebound into your body better since your heel and ankle isn't locked in. Find some still pics of Mapple or Nate in their edge change. That is where their heels are off the ski as the ski transitions underneath them onto it's turning edge.

• Baller
I think its all preference. I learned RTP and have stayed RTP. I like the ease of getting out of the water. I also agree with @ShaneH. 12 years ago when I went to ski with Lucky I never really got my foot into the strap completely, and never had my heel down. Lucky went balistic on me! We re-did the strap and I learned a new stance (better stance) with my feet flat on the ski and my foot all the way in the strap. I think that alone was one of the biggest improvements in my skiing -- correct stance, with or without RTP.