Bittersweet! (Quest delivered, have to wait a day or two)

ToddL

• Baller

D3 Quest (67") arrived today for Demo. Yeah!

I'm still a little sick from this week's bug. Boo!

Today it is raining in Central Texas. We desperately need rain. Can't get to the lake...

Hope I get better and can get on the lake this weekend!

Gathered some data on fin settings...

@Horton posted these for 67":

2.500"

6.937"

.760"

8 degrees

29 3/4

As a starting place, I used a mix of Fusion numbers I got from Bob Edie, Ward McLain and Joe Darwin. I messed around a little and got to 2.500 /6.937 / .760 8 degrees / 29 3/4. As I was looking for the perfect fin settings I found that moving the fin forward smoothed out the finish of off side turn. With all other settings the same, a DFT of .745 would result in a momentary hitch or sticky spot 2/3 of the way through the radius. I saw the same issue with 2 other skiers on the Quest. A DFT closer to .760 fixed it for everyone.

Kevin @bishop8950 posted these:

I am 2.505, 6.935t, 0.740f (maybe 0.745f cant remember), 8, and 30" Reflex.

@jdarwin posted this info about 68", but his observations on binding placement may still apply:

The bindings back one hole from stock was the magic this ski was lacking. I was getting great turns and incredible angle but the leading edge was engaging too quickly off the 2nd wake. I tried the typical fin adjustments to remedy with no luck. Went back to my original fin numbers and simply moved my bindings back one hole - Viola!! Ski still has the great turns (especially off side) but creates great width off the 2nd wake. If you are a regular D3 skier, you have to throw out all previous notions about ski set up. This is a completely different animal. My numbers on the 68": 6.925 / 2.507 / . 765 / 7 deg. Binding 30.25".

D3 Default:

67" 6.940", 2.515", 0.785"needle / 0.745" flat, 7deg for 34MPH / 8deg for 36MPH, 30"

• Baller
Bindings back 1/4" is magic on the Quest. The path the ski holds off the second wake gets better as the line gets shorter. Seth and Bob Edie helped set mine up in the spring and it has been the same all year. Results= average up almost 2 buoys, running all passes more consistently. Awesome ski!!!

• Baller
@tc - Thanks! Oh, the "@" thing: take the user's ID (tc in your case, ToddL in mine), put "@" before it. When the user logs in, he or she will see a notification that they have been mentioned in a posting. It is just a way to ensure that the person knows you want them to see that post. However, if the user's ID has spaces, it doesn't work.

• Baller

@Horton, @bishop8950, @tc, @jdarwin:

The wing - there are two sets of wing mounting holes which ones are ya'll using and wing orientation?

1) upper set closer to ski bottom, wing fins farthest away from ski bottom

http://www.d3skis.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/wing%20in%20stock%20or%20middle%20position.jpg

2) lower set closer to edge of fin, wing fins closest to the ski bottom (upside down)

3) lower set closer to edge of fin, wing fins farthest away from ski bottom

http://www.d3skis.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/wing%20in%20bottom%20position.jpg

• Baller

Let's see if this works - Summary of Quest Fin Settings:

Source Date Depth Length t DFT f DFT n Wing Fbinding Comments
D3 Default   2.515 6.940 0.745 0.785 7 30  
Joe Darwin (68")   2.507 6.925 0.765   8 30 Bindings back a 1/4" smoothed out edge change
Horton   2.500 6.937 0.760   8 29 3/4 larger DFT smoothed out finish of off-side turn
Kevin Bishop   2.508 6.932 0.742   8 29 9/16  
TC   2.505 6.928   0.770 7 29 3/4 Settings per Seth/Eddie help
D3 As Shipped   2.506 6.924 0.752        
Todd's First   2.506 6.924 0.752   7 29 3/4  

• Baller
@ToddL Rechecked DFT and I am closer to .777. My wing is on the upper set of holes; screws on top 7 degrees. Just tried a thin stainless steel wing set the same way and it is even better off the wake and into the buoy. Easier to keep the ski in front and hips forward into the buoy. Too bad the season is over here:)

• Baller

Higher wing location

That summary chart is handy. I think those settings are in the right ball park. Tune to your liking. I dont think anyone can say X.XXXX is the right number because it will depend on your boots, the size of your feet, the particular ski, how you ski, etc.

67"

6.9250-6.9350

0.740-0.765

2.505-2.515

7-8 degrees

front boot 29.5-29.75 depending on the set up

• Baller
@skibrain I own and was skiing on 2011 67" Strada. Prior to that I was on RCX. For the past month, I have been demoing the '13 Prophecy and '14 A3. I prefer the HO A3 over Prophecy. Prophecy is a great ski, it just let me do too many bad habits. I was smoother on the A4, but then I really had to be smoother on it.

• Baller

I took my first ride on the Quest today in 12 MPH head/tail. It was pretty ugly water, so it is hard to say much about the ski. I did notice that it has wicked angle out of the offside turn. I had to seriously think: "just go 40% at the offside and the ski will do the rest." It took the whole set to really trust that. Conversely, I never really figured out the onside. I kept getting back on the ski - probably due to popping off the edge change after the too extreme angle out of the offside. I had to really think about getting forward into the onside.

I really can't say much more since I only took one set today. Tuesday is my next trip to the lake... I hope to have better water then.

• Baller
Moved fin length to 6.930, (still at 2.506, 0.752, 7deg, binding 29 3/4). Off-side still good, on-side a little more stable. Approaching on-side it seems to really like a countered stance. Set #2 was better. Need more ski time...

• Baller

Paul Crawford suggested DFT at 0.740.

Tried that, didn't feel right. Turns were either big and slow or if I really got on the nose, hard and stalled.

Tried 6.925, didn't feel right. Same feel.

I think this ski is just a bit sensitive to fin settings...

• Baller
@skidawg - I just spent a week and a half on a 67" Quest (loved it). I really had to back my bindings up too. I ended up back near 29 1/2. I think I was just on the verge of it not turning as well as it should and could've been forward a 16th or so from there. Where do (did/will) you run your bindings?

• Baller
I was at 29 5/8. Basically, I ran out of time to tweak this ski. I never quite felt consistent. By that I mean, it would be extremely aggressive at times, but a little jerky or unpredictable, too. 90% of the issue is probably from the bindings up. Still, within a set, sometimes coming out of 1 or 3 ball (on side), I wasn't sure what to expect. The off-side was always predictable. If I was anywhere near stacked, it just craved around aggressively so I simply took 2/4/6 easy. The only time off-side wasn't smooth was if I really came into the turn with my weight back - usually due to some sort of over correction from being hit hard out of the on-side and crossing the wakes a little too far forward. Maybe I never quite got it dialed in... But, times up on the demo and the other ski is smooth as butter for me, so...