Anyone know how many man made ski lakes there are in the US?

Jordan

• Baller
Well there are at least 6 ski lakes within an hour of me but I think 1-2 are actually published and even then you practically have to know someone who own property there or know someone who knows someone to ski there. Even knowing what I know now, I couldn't find them all on google maps.

• Baller

There's at least 8 in South Carolina (depending on how you want to count "man made ski lakes")

I know at least 3 of them have the ability to pump from somewhere. I'm pretty sure Georgia and North Carolina would have at least twice that many each.

• Baller_

In Michigan, there are 3 at Placid Waters in Allendale, 1 at Summerwood in Hudsonville, 1 private residence near Hudsonville, 1 private residence in Clio, Jepawhit in Gaines/Fenton, Tivoli Gardens in Gaines/Fenton, Arilyt in Lawton, 1 in Carson City, 1 in Midland, 1 private near Petersburg, Lake Lynette in Lapeer.

Total man-made, purpose-built ski lakes (that I know of): 13

There are several private ski lakes that are converted gravel pits, natural small lakes, or other lakes that were not purpose-built. I can think of at least a half a dozen.

I am sure there are probably more 13 purpose-built and probably more than 20 private ski sites in Michigan. I know this: we need a lot more.

The only lake that I have seen with water flowing from a pump is Jepawhit. Don't know if its primary function is maintaining the lake level or aesthetics, as it is a landscaped waterfall/creek design. Very nice place.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Let me augment my answer. At the one private site in Hudsonville, a pump is used to move water from a low lying area up into the lake. It is not a well or other augmentation source, just a reclamation and distribution of surface water that collects on the property in an otherwise unused low spot.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Sweden. None that I heard of.

However, there are type 83 000 lakes (above 100 000 sqr feets)

Few can be private but owners may not prohibit boats on them.

Ok motor boats are mostly limited.

Ski boats are most likely allowed on type 10 000 lakes.

If there are no special limitation.....

You do not need any special permit to ski!