The only reason to not ski much on a week off is . . .

Skoot1123

• Baller
@ab - at the moment there are two excavators - overflow drain, a bulldozer, two Cat challengers - one with a cultivator to mix material and the other with two 15 cubic yd pull pans, one case quad track with two 18 cubic yd pull pans, and my father in laws John Deere 8 wheel tractor with an 18 cubi yd pull pan, a couple elevating scrapers that are used when one machine is down or if there are enough operators, another Case tractor for the rollers and box scraper, and a vibratory compactor that was rented for further compaction of the fill material. Yup, lots of machines. It is mostly clay we are working with but we did hit some sand where the core of the dam is, so that set us back a day or two. Otherwise it has been smooth sailing so to speak and have seen good progress on the dam. One day we raised it three feet. We are doing a combination of digging out plus putting in a dam. Over 190,000 cubic yards of material to move - based on a depth of 8 ft. Getting closer - probably two and a half solid weeks of work before the dam is done. Then it'll be lots of other projects before its a true ski lake. Should keep us busy this winter for sure!

• Baller
I have seen excavators only and pans. It seems like pans would be the ticket, but I am no heavy equipment guy. We have a backhoe and have rented an excavator for stone and bank work, and for some reason, I like running them! Must be all the Tonka toys as a kid. Good luck on the dig.

• Baller
@jipster43 - actually my father in law has been wanting to do this since he was a boy. It is on my grandfather in laws property/farm - I got addicted to buoys and we had been talking about doing this for four years or so. Started two years ago with plans and applications etc. started digging last year and dug for about two and a half months. This year only started digging three weeks ago, the excavation company does tiling in the winter for the farmers so their time is seasonal. If all goes well, Lord willing it will be skiable next summer.