ZO setting change for cold water?

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

I know there has been extensive discussion about fin and especially wing adjustments to try to make cold water feel more like warmer water. But has anybody had success with changing ZO setting?

I tried it today, mainly out of desperation: After an awesome first half of September, I suddenly lost it, dropping back about 4 buoys seemingly overnight. Some days are just not good, but when this carried through a few practice sessions, I started messing with my wing. Neither less nor more seemed helpful at all. Then for no particular reason I went from B1 to B2.

It's important to understand that in the past whenever I have tried 2 is has felt very hard, although I must admit I had never actually tried it on my N1 at any water temperature. But today it felt pretty good. By the end of the set, I wasn't skiing anything amazing, but it felt like I was "back." Then I tried one pass back at my old friend B1, at it felt awkward again.

My closest thing to a theory relates to the often-discussed-here fact that water increases in viscosity and therefore drag as it gets colder. So I had the seemingly crazy idea that maybe a little harder throttle from the boat could help overcome that and get me going cross-course faster. Honestly I expected to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised.

Anybody ever try anything like this? Did it seem to work?

• Baller

Than, I was having a similiar experience, skiing very well the beginning of September and last few days off a few buoys. I generally use A2, but my ski partner convinced me to try C2, I was totally amazed at how much better that felt.

In my recent issues I felt like I was constantly not getting across course and turning at the buoy. Since C2 picked me up much earlier and dropped off earlier, I was across course earlier and had time to slow down for the turn.

Tomorrow may be completely different again, but for now, I'll see where this takes me.

• Baller
In my PP SG ZBox world........ my only complaint is that B2 on my boat feels like C1 on a ZO Boat............. With that said, I don't do much switching because I don't really know why or how to fix the setting "line up" between the two different systems. I just ski it and leave it there, cause that is what tournaments feel like to me. I have knocked a few 10ths off the speed to feel better on the cold Columbia in the early season........ Always seems to feel better early season.