No one likes a wedgie

ForrestGump

• Baller
So I decide to ski on my Mapple 6.0 since I hadn't pulled it out in the 2 1/2 months I've been on the Prophecy. Different ski so I go out at 22 off behind my buddie's '13 TXi. Whoah! That wake is big! I remember thinking that my buddy must have filled the boat up before I got to his house. 28 gets a little better. 32 gets a lil better. At 35 I feel like I'm on the tail and it's dropping in the trough on the backside of the wake. The whole set feels like I'm wacking the wake and not riding the center of the ski. I chalk it up to getting back on a different ski. After my set, his wife skis. Then he skis and after his first pass he says "Is the wedge down? There's a nasty trough!" My reply was "I made sure it was up yesterday before we skied." And that's when we realized that they went back out to let their daughter wakeboard and had put the wedge down. All of a sudden I didn't feel so bad, bettering my tournament average on a different ski with the wedge down. LOL

• Baller

That kind of thing rewards backing off and wussing out...neither of which I really want to become part of my training. I've left ballast in my boat before and it wasn't pretty. The first indicator was when the driver who usually hammers the throttle on me seemed to ease it up slowly.

Sounds like you've reached the point where boat wake isn't a major issue for you anymore.

• Baller
Same thing happened to my wife. I heard a horror story of a wedge getting punched through the transom when a truck rear ended a boat so I was dropping it when we towed to a lake. She take the first set and said, " something's wrong". I disregarded her concerns but when I hopped off the platform I saw the thing down. I forget what I had to do to make up for that one but I've never left the wedge down since.

• Baller

My boat drives totally different with the wedge down and it porposes at speed and not sure I could drive it 34mph

I was in the boat with Nate skiing a few months ago and he noticed the trick gate was down on a 200 right when he got up and before we got around the first island on his first pass

• Baller
If you are used to skiing behind a Nautique, it only takes about 3.5 seconds once your up to figure out the hydrogate is in the wrong spot...between the wake being 2 ft narrower and the rooster tail. I've thrown the handle a time or two because the driver "unknowingly" bumped the lever into jump/trick.

• Baller
Last year when I was the boat judge at a tourney, someone popped the handle and a ton of rope hit the driver in the head, but luckily didn't wrap around his neck. It did wrap around the hydro gate lever and pulled it into trick mode, but it went unnoticed for several skiers. When we did notice it, we gave several re-rides, but oddly enough, no one improved their score.

Have skied a whole set with the hydro gate in trick/jump soon after we got our 196 so wasn't totally used to the wake. I was mentally screaming at myself at the end of each pass to not be so stupid and soften my knees and hold the edge!