Record Waves at Nazare Portugal

ski6jones

• Baller
The size of that wave is ridiculous! Those guys are completely nuts but I admire that they want to do something that has never been done before. I doubt they would even make the call to the life insurance company prior to grabbing their board because they already know they aren't covered

• Baller

Not that I would have the balls to be out there, but that is the ugliest, lamest big wave I've seen and it's just getting blown up by the media. Waves of that size are obviously dangerous beyond belief because of the amount of water moving around, but that one just doesn't compare to Jaws, Mavericks, big Teahupoo, Shipsterns, Dungeons, Cortez Banks and other more critical, hollow big waves. Just a monster mush ball. Still - major, major props to the guys and gals that go out there and can handle it. Check out the girl that almost lost her life there a few days ago - Maya Gabeira. http://www.surfermag.com/features/maya-gabeira-survives/

• Baller

Agree the form of that wave is weak, it's just so freakin' huge. The waves are so big due to a deep water submarine canyon that extends from very near shore all the way to open ocean. The swell doesn't feel bottom until it's very near shore. Pretty unique setup.

I agree on the other sites you mention, Teahupoo being one of my favorites. This vid from the Right in WA is sick.

• Baller

@ski6jones - that is one heavy slab. Australia seems to have their share of those.

@ozski - I hear ya. I've made the effort to paddle out in some size, made it out after much effort, then said to myself "what the hell am I doing out here?" I'm fine with a bit overhead, but not much more. Oh, and I forgot to mention - big Puerto Escondido. No. Way.

• Baller
Surfing is a bit like slalom, the better you get the more fun you have. Largish surf teaches you respect real quick, most people who don't surf have no idea how hard a genuine 6 foot wave can slap you if your in the wrong place. As for the big big stuff.. It makes me shudder because I've been crushed enough times to know better.

• Baller
@eleeski, you don't escape a wave that big. You either make it, or you risk you life. There is no one to save you. I've surfed hurricane stuff at 10-12, and even that scares the sh.. out of you. If you go down , the last thought is get as much air as possible. those guys are nuts.

• Baller
you can make it to the end/side and get over the shoulder, or if a beachbreak take it in far enough, shallow enough that it subsides. They are using jetskis to get out and in once they are out of harm's way. Even the jetski drivers are in much danger.

• Baller

@eleeski - you use a jetski to escape. How does the ride end? If you stay on your feet and make it to the shoulder, gloriously. If you fall and get pushed deep, it can end badly. Every year an accomplished, fit, brave big wave surfer or two generally die.

I'm much more impressed by big wave surfers, rock/mountain climbers, world cup downhillers, big mountain skiers, and the like than pro football/basketball/baseball/hockey players (and I love football, basketball, baseball, hockey and a bunch of other sports). I just think the athletes that have the skills and the courage to challenge mother nature are a different breed, a cut above.