Off Season Workout, Exercise & Training Program

drewski

Ballers,

Good afternoon. As this morning marks the first snow fall here in Ohio, I am already dreaming about getting back on the water. With that in mind, I wanted to extend a discussion about different types of off season work outs. As we all know, no matter how much training we do during the winter, the first part of the season will undoubtedly be sore.

For me, I have fell in love with Rock Climbing during the off season as I found it works a lot of the same muscles as water skiing. However, my new living location does not offer an indoor rock wall, and therefore need to find something else to do. I am not a free weight slamming gym rat, but enjoy body weight, balance, and cross fit type workouts. A solid applicable exercise I have found is described here: http://www.waterskimag.com/features/2012/01/20/water-ski-preseason-body-building/

What do other ballers like to do to stay in shape and keep yourself occupied during hibernation?

• Baller
P90x this year - just started yesterday (and it is kicking my butt). And then downhill skiing. I've been sore just after starting downhill skiing, but not at the beginning of waterskiing. I think is has to do with an average ski racing training day being 2-4 hrs of free skiing (including chairlifts) and about 20 runs through the course. Average slalom day for me is 4-8 runs through the course or maybe 30 minutes of free skiing.

• Baller

p90x but I spread it out over 120 days to incorporate a separate core workout which includes some of the concepts in @drewski's link. I will also play hockey, swim, run, teach spinning classes, etc as part of an overall effort to lose weight. I dropped 40 pounds last winter and it made a huge difference. Trying to drop another 15-20 this winter. Plus, our neighborhood is putting in an ice rink on our tennis courts, and I will be the main ice prep guy, so there with be a ton of skating with a shovel before resurfacing the ice. The variety of tasty beers for fall and Christmas do hamper my weight loss....but they are sooo good!!!

• Baller
@Fatroll - I doubt that I'll actually go 90 days on it, for me it is just a way to force some exercise between ski seasons. I'm only following the exercise program, not the nutrition - don't want to lose any weight and there is no way I'm giving up beer ;)

• Baller

@drewski

That mag article sounds like a good exercise to add to any off season training.

I spend a good amount of time on the ERG or rowing machine. I do a mix between long steady state and short interval workouts. I can go into more detail if need be I have been rowing for 9 years and coaching for 4.

I have a routine I do on my Indo Board which is a modified version of this video with a few added moves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6a6sn_zP9Y

I have a long ab routine with some body weight workouts along with some forearm and grip strength.

Yoga a few nights a week.

I enjoy some time on the rock wall as well.

No running and No weights to speak of.

• Baller
@xraited yeah it is. I've taken the last week off from rowing and haven't skied in a few weeks now that the season is over here. I'll start jumping into my workout plan Friday. Time to get ready for 2014 cause I'm taking down 38 (in practice)