HO S2 vs. Goode Fire WideRide

ThePantsManCan

• Baller

I love the S2, and I don't need to change. I am a (so-called) "strong" skier and I've been training at 34 MPH. I should be at 36mph and I love to get up on the front of the ski. In my mind, the super wide forebody of the Fire Wide might be of some benefit to me?

I plan on keeping my S2 because I love it, and I also plan on switching from my EXO Hardshells to a Reflex Front with R-Style Rear. (My mind is made up on that one) I am lightly considering having a go at the 2014 Obrien Conquer in a 67.5 size. I had the Obrien Quattro in a 66 but it just wasn't enough ski under me.

I love wide skis, can ya tell?! WOo! HOOO!

• Baller

@MattP, Bingo!

I'll be jonesin for a few swerves until next week when it looks like the ski hills in Pennsylvania (small as they are) will be open for Black Friday. I'll have to continue to keep myself from buying Alpine Snowboard equipment, and keep my eye on the ball for next ski season.

I am on a mini purge this winter, as I am getting rid of equipment and simply "things" I own but do not use. Right now I have a rebuilt Ford 351W marine motor for sale on eBay for $350 bucks. Perhaps I should start another thread...

Nevertheless, does anyone have a used Fire Wide Ride for me to try?

• Baller

For what it's worth, if you like the S2 and have no issues with it stick with it, I have been down the road, of trying different skis, after the ski I was on got daamaged, it has held me back lots, I have finally settled on the 2014 S2 and like it a lot, spend your mony on coaching and time on water, the ski you have is good enough.

Good Luck, ski well

• Baller

Last year I skied for about a week on an S2(it was a demo) and liked it and wound up with a 66" Goode mid. Over that time my weight bounced between 210 and 220 mostly around 215 and the 66" mid is plenty of ski at that weight. I ski 34 mph regularly into mid 35 off. I think the 66" mid would be a surfboard at 200lbs particularly if you bump to 36 mph.

I don't see a big reason to switch off the S2. I liked that ski a lot and the only reason I didn't wind up on it was I couldn't keep the demo and they couldn't get me a ski fast enough. That said I have been happy with my Goode and while I did have a problem with my ski Goode took outstanding care of me.

• Baller

@ThePantsMan as my screen name states, I am currently skiing on GOODE Skis. I switched from HO product 3 years ago. I am also using the powershells from GOODE. WIth that said, I have owned a mid-ride, tried a wide ride, and am on a NANO OneXT right now.

I loved my mid-ride and found it to be easy on my body. It just skied easy and was little to no work. Not as fast cross wake, but so easy to ski, it made up for most of that.\

I know I am not a wide-ride guy (180 lbs) just not for me at any speed.........

I found me love in the Nano ONE and the new Nano OneXT that I am on now. Not quite as easy on my body, but faster cross course than the mid and the older Nano One.

I would suggest trying a mid or the new XT. Depending on your style and what your weight does to the ski mechanics, you might find the XT to be your ski (or not???) That is what the demo period is for!

• Baller

I am finding, after great mental pain, that I like the Goode Fire and 9960 series skis' because of that awesome smoke graphic. Getting it in a Wide would just supply me with MORE smoke graphic!!! How many more bouys do you think I would increase because I look so cool?! I'm so pathetic..

But seriously how many more Bouys???!

• Baller_
@ThePantsMan I rode the Mid and the S2 around the same time period and my thoughts were that the 2 skis felt very similar in many ways. Both are very easy to ride and stable. What year S2 are you on? The later ones were supposed to be the ones to ride. Not sure what year @wish rides but he likes it.

• Baller
Sh!t. Maybe I can buy some time at the private site next season. Those boys want me to stop switching skis! Well one of them I guess. I'd like to ask @Drew, will the Obrien Conquer compare to either the S2 or Goode Wide Ride? What about the Endo do you prefer? What about the Conquer is kinda nice?

• Baller
@ThePantsManCan you may alread know this but at this point your ski isn't holding you back that ski will take you a lot deeper than you are skiing right now. That said if you are doing it because you lie trying new skis have fun. I love new equipment and I would love to try a bunch of new skid over a weekend or a week.

• Baller
I can second @scotchipman view, I skied on one and loved it, first 38's were run on it, carried speed amazingly well through the turn and never stalled, I rode a 66"@180lbs, was the softer flex though. Still think about grabbing one to try again occasionally