On side wont turn.

gyoung

I have been given a KD 7000 to try. My off side feels great, nice and smooth, good angle and acceleration but my on side wont turn. Bindings are central and fin is stock. What adjustment to the fin should I do to help initiate the turn. Thanks ballers.

• Baller
@gyoung Do you have a high degree of confidence that "central" and "stock" have been measured really accurately with proper tools and techniques to factory recommended specs? Things don't have to be off by much (bindings - ¼", fin -.005") to change the character of a ski.

You can try moving both boots back 1/4 inch. If that hurts your offside too much, then only move the back boot back. If you want to adjust your fin, I would move it forward and up. All of the adjustments mentioned will put the back of your ski deeper in the water, which should help your onside turn. Try one adjustment at a time.

• Baller
If you are having trouble getting the ski to roll on it's edge then take some depth out of the fin. If you feel like you have to fight to get it to roll or change edges then take some depth out, or the other possibility is on your onside turn if you are doing a wheelie when you finish your onside turn you need to move the fin back. If the tip if the ski is almost getting buried when you finish the turn causing you to stall then you need to move the fin forward. Only do one adjustment at a time, and remember to record your starting measurements if you have to start over. Hope this helps! Don't move more than 1/100th of an inch at a time.

• Administrators

@gyoung

What @skijay said. You need factory specs to start. Middle hole is not a setting.

What is your skiing level?

Also I assume we are talking about a modern ski? KD left the US market over 10 years ago. I see you are down under...

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Here's hoping someone can help with the factory settings. The current set up is Depth 2.48in, DFT .92in, fin length 6.89in. Back of the front binding is 29.21in from tail. I am 187lb and it's a 66in ski. @Horton I ski at 34mph 15off, and only ski in the course every couple of weeks. You can still buy KD skis over here but this one is probably 10 years old like you said.

• Baller

Given @ShaneH's stock numbers as a reference point, your ski should be turning like mad @gyoung. Fin setup may not be the root of the problem.

Without having seen you ski, I'm going to speculate that you have too much weight on your back leg, at least during your on-side turns. The ski is also at least one size too small which can make tail-heavy turning even worse.

If you intend to use this ski for awhile, move your fin back to or past @ShaneH's DFT number, then try bindings forward. These will both engage more of the the ski, effectively making it ski like a bigger ski. This will give you more support, but you'll still have to get your weight further forward on the ski during the pre-turn and turn to get it to turn properly.

Thanks for all the advice @SkiJay and @ShaneH . After reading your posts and not being able to remove the fin block to adjust it, I have decided to get back on my senate C. The senate C is 67in and skis great, just wanted to see what the KD was like.