How does the New 2014Mastercraft Prostar Drive/Track on the Course?

racerdjs

• Baller
I currently own a 2011 CC 200 CB and l am seriously considering ordering a new Mastercraft Prostar. I am being cautioned as I am hearing second hand that an aggressive short line skier can pull the boat side to side on the course. The new Prostar is a huge improvement but does not track as well as the CC 200. I have had 3 Prostars starting the 2002 and my Nautique is my first CC. In my mind, I can't believe that with Marcus Brown heavily involved in the design that they would green light a boat that does not have great tracking. Are these comments from other brand loyalists? Your thoughts will be appreciated!

• Baller
I have not personally driven one but skied 18 sets of slalom behind one over spring break down at Bennett's ski school and noticed a very consistent pull while behind the boat, and I wasn't exactly skiing light and right. When I asked the instructors who were driving they said it tracked great down the course. As far as aggressive short line my 3 @ 32off best of the week doesn't quite meet that mark so I can't say much but at 28 I was playing the "how low to the water can I get my shoulder game" towards the end of the week when I was getting tired and the drivers said that I wasn't pulling them around at all (and I'm not what you would call a light weight individual). Can't say from personal driving experience but I liked the pull and the coaches liked how it drove.

• Baller
I've been driving 1 for a few months and I am very impressed with the tracking. It actually tracks so well I had to get used to it and learn to drive a little differently. To me it's easily the best driving Mastercraft in the last 20 years.

• Baller
By NO means am I even close to being a short line skier. I am lucky to run several 28's at 34mph in a season. However, I pull several ski partners who are short line skiers in our group who participate in tournaments as well as the Nationals and don't want to adversely affect their training efforts. One partner runs 38.

• Baller
If you can drive Both boats, ( a 200 and a new MC ), same day, same skiers, same lake. Make your own decision. Obviously, most cc owners are going to tell you the cc 200 is the best, and the MC owners, are going to tell you the MC is the best. Make your own decision, be careful who you listen to. Other things to consider, dealer , price, resale, quality, record for dependability, Engine ( PCM vs others), etc.etc. etc. If you were to commit to purchasing a new boat, I have a 2013 Nautique 200, and there is a 2014 MC. on our lake. I would be glad to offer a challenge. you pull 4 skiers with the 200, pull same 4 skiers with the MC. Same day, same skiers, same lake. You make the call.

• Baller
Greg your test would be the ultimate test. I usually do not ask for opinions in a forum but find most here seem truthful and realistic. There seem to be very few haters here and that is a relief. When I traded from Mastercraft, the Nautuque dealer brought out a 200 and left it for a day or two and we decided. There are no Prostars available for this kind of sales promotion. From what I have heard, there is no need at this time.

• Baller
It will be interesting to see what skiers prefer. The 200 is very locked in on path. Sometimes as a skier it feels better to me if the boat and driver are "with me" a little more, meaning that the back end is moving some. Looking forward to ice out to give my new ProStar a workout.

• Baller

I drove the MC this weekend at 2 speeds, 1 skier at 30 mph starting at 15 off and ending at 28 off. The other skier 36 mph into 38 off. Sorry to say

But the MC doesn't drive or track like a CC.

I've owned 13 MC's and 15 Nautiques

• Baller
I have never had difficulty pulling a strong Shortline skier with a 197. If the new ProStar is better that will be great. The correct craft is on rails. Tracking n wakes for big 3 wud seem to all b great. For me the game changing features on the prostar are so well thought out in terms of interior layout, bow hatch, ski racks, a convenient drain plug, walk thru rear seating, floor space, Bimini set up etc. can't lose on big 3 top offerings right now... Pick your favorite flavor n ski.

• Baller
@skierjp has the correct statement in my opinion. Have driven and skied behind the new mastercraft. I would buy one in a minute if the price was right, but I do not believe it drives as nice as the Nautique 200. Centurion, Nautique, Mastercraft, and Malibu YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH ANY OF THEM. I am equally happy behind all of them. If I am driving, I would choose the Nautique.

• Baller

When I'm skiing, I don't care about features, price, looks, or fuel efficiency. All I care about is an accurate pull. My wife drives for over 70% of my skiing, so selfishly speaking, tracking and driver comfort (happiness) are the top two features any of the top four boats have to offer.

I love the new feature-rich, great-skiing PS, but I'll be sticking with my CC 200.

• Baller

@racerdjs‌

I'm not sure if you've experienced the new PS yet, but we found after testing it that we're not moving from our 200 anytime soon. As mentioned, it's by far the best PS in 20 years, but we still prefer the 200. If you're on public water, you'll immediately notice the MC hull still has the kidney bruising ride over rollers. I can only speak to the 5.7, but it had a fairly pokey hole shot compared the Excal. That's probably correctable with a different prop though? The space and layout can't be beat, and materials are typical top-notch MC. Being an MC fan since early childhood, I wanted to walk away thinking "I have to have one", but it wasn't the case.

• Baller

One note of caution here boys. You have to remember that this is the first year of the new Prostar's production.

When the previous 190 came out in 1992, they wound up adding hook to the hull, a different rudder and a number of small tweeks that made the boat significantly better.

It's the same story with the 200, and the Centurion. A number of changes have been made to both boats since their introduction.

I have also read a number of comments about tracking, the riding on the rail feeling that the

200 gives. Remember that feeling comes at the expense of gas consumption.

Finally, we have become so spoiled with these boats...they are all pretty fantastic at this point.

• Baller
We have had a 200 at our club since the start of the 200 revolution. We also are onto our 2nd Carbon Pro in our Club. We have a TXi as well. So far, I have only driven the new PS pulling 32/35 off male skiers. The PS and Centurion are similar and not difficult to drive with neither having a notable edge over the other IMO. I'd give driver ergonomics to the PS over the CP but that's about it. The 200 continues to be in a tracking and driver experience class of its own. With all that said....put all 3 in a hat and you won't go wrong with the one you draw.

• Baller_
My thoughts on the PS from my 2 sets this weekend are that it is the best ZO pull I have had since ZO. It also has a very comfortable passenger seat with some nice room between the engine box and seat. I did not drive one but interior comfort and lay out get my vote over the 200.

• Baller
Layout is first rate. Acceleration seems to improve with break in. I'm at 28 hours now and it is getting up to speed noticeably better when I pull Mitch at 36. The pull feels awesome. Agree with @MS. Nicest ZO pull ever, and that screen interface can't be beat!

• Baller
There is nothing I dislike about the Prostar. Excellent gel coat and very crisp color lines. Everywhere I look, it seems as if it was thought out completely. The ski racks, Bimini Top, gages and Zero off operation just to start.

• Baller

The new Prostar - A hot new Camaro with lots of cool features, designed and built by GM.

CC 200 - A solid performing 911s that's a utilitarian version of sexy, but it's design, build, and performance are all Porsche.

• Baller
Kinda bad news today. On a fairly short setup, straight in to the course from starting dock, the PS just would not get up to 36 quick enough and had to be pulled. They've been holding tourneys there for 18 or so years and this was a first. Didn't drive it myself, so no other comments. This being the third different PS I've seen over the last three weekends.

• Baller_

Lake 38 had their inaugural Slalom tournament Yesterday and a 2014 PS pulled all of the first round. Two different drivers, one a seasoned senior the other a second year Assistant. I did the mapping and setup and rode as boat judge for the first half of the round. My thoughts on the little Pro Star is that it does what it is designed to do. Comfortable interior, Well thought out cockpit, and a acceptable ride. I rode with the seasoned Senior As boat judge and he drove the boat effortlessly. I talked to the other driver who drove all 12 of the men 5 and he said it drove very nice and he had no complaints. Lake 38 is short set up however more a tight set up from the west end, Power to 36 was not stellar but aqueduct for our needs. Most everyone who skied 22 off (my self included) said the bump was not a issue. I have not experienced a non 22 bump since the 97-01 Ski Nautique. Their were a couple PB's the first round and every one who skied that rd agreed the boat does not have any negative impact through out all the line lengths that was skied.

looking forward to my time behind the wheel as an event driver with this product! I will hook my Slalom rope up to this boat anytime!

• Baller
Well, I said fairly short. Shorter than some but lots longer than some. Just trying to be kind to MC. How does something like that happen? Supposedly with years of R&D the greatest thing comes along and several instances of getting pulled from tournaments for low power.? ! ?