Borg-Warner velvetdrive oil

bigtallweed

The transmission is a 1994 velvet drive and the manual calls for 10wt tractor hydraulic fluid meeting the c-3/to-2 specification( Preferably Mobil 423,Chevron or Citgo) I can't locate this product. does someone know what Borg -Warner suggest for this vintage of transmission?

• Baller
You can buy 1st tractor hydraulic oil at most farm supply stores or bulk oil supplier. I have always used regular automatic transmission fluid. It's the same weight oil little different additive package and is dyed red. Didn't have a problem in a 86 American skier 91 Mastercraft prostar. Have changed the 02 Nautique yet but will problem use the same unless instructed otherwise by people more in the know.

• Baller

I see you're in Canada and I believe ATF does better in colder temperatures than regular hydraulic fluid but that's just what I've read... I'm in Georgia so severe cold is not something I really deal with.

A lot of hydraulic fluids are red like ATF so I'm not sure you'd even be able to tell what you currently have in there without some digging. If it's pink though, it needs to be changed immediately.

• Baller_
@bigtallweed: note that the manuals do indicate not to mix, so if you swap over don't forget to drain the cooler and lines. Tractor Supply should carry the hydraulic oil.

• Baller

Reminds me when our ski club in NH had a Nautique. The transmission fluid would keep

going down, while the oil level kept going up. Dealer told us that wasn't possible, at

least initially, for the transmission fluid would leak into the engine oil. Eventually, after

changing out the transmission maybe twice, we were OK.

Great brain twister for Jody Seal, and I wonder if he ever saw this happen.

Hoo boy, you needed to be a contortionist to change a transmission, at least back then.

Bolts & nuts really hard to get to, unless you maybe had special tools. Skinned knuckles

were part of the process.

Then again, in the car world, strange things can happen. I loaned my truck to a guy once,

and told him to check the power steering fluid, as the Suburban was getting old and

using PS fluid. Even gave him a bottle of the stuff. When he returned my car, he said

that he had added PS fluid. But, the PS container was still low. Turns out that he had

added the fluid to the BRAKE reservoir. At least at that time, PS fluid in the brake

reservoir "ate" the seals. Expensive fix. Another story Jody Seal might "enjoy".