Helix numbers

The_MS

• Baller_

Looking back at the March threads and now at the latest updates of Helix fin numbers there looks to be a big swing in DFT and length. The water has been cold but I am having a tough time finding the sweet spot for @Mrs.MS. She is set at 6.935 tips, 2.500 depth and .752 DFT. She says it feels slow and hard to accelerate.

65 inch Helix with binding at 29 from the tail.

• Baller
Having said that, and considering my experience with other D3 skis in cold water, I have one question to ask. Is she feeling that the ski gets behind at the onside turn and at the wake?

• Baller_
@ral I had her back at 28 3/4 but moved her back to 29 just to try that with the same fin numbers. She is having issues with her off side turns coming out of ball. I think she may be coming into ball to fast resulting from over working to get speed. She only has about 4 sets in so far.

• Baller
I would keep the boots back. I might be reading it wrong, but if she is getting too fast as a result of overworking to get speed, it would mean that she feels the ski is not accelerating when it is accelerating indeed, or that she is pulling longer than what she should?

• Baller
I agree with RAL - move the boots back. I've been trying a 67" and started at 29 3/4. Felt not fast enough and didn't want to accelerate until really loaded heavy. At 29 5/8 better. At 29 7/16 better yet. Turning also got better. I bet I could even go back another 1/16th or 1/8th before the turns would start to suffer. After the second binding move, I tried a fin move to longer (like 6.950) shallower (2.475) and didn't feel nearly as much affect as the binding moves. Like the ski. Very symmetrical and predictable and speed is good now. Easier on the bod. Our water has been mid-range: cool (mid 60s) to slightly warm (mid 70s). Not cold, not hot.