Who is running what line lengths? Poll inside

kfennell

I was just wondering how many people on this board are in each range of skiier, for simplicity I have broke it into 4 ranges, maybe someone else would have chosen different ones, but whatever. I made it anonymous so that hopefully it will be more accurate. Also I am asking if you can do it under tournament ocnditions, good driver, strong boat, zero off, but doesnt have to necessarily be in a tournament.

• Administrators

I believe the average member has a higher score than the average reader. To put it another way there's a whole lot of people who do not round buoys but ski for fun and read the forum. A high percentage of them do not have logins.

Most of the traffic is from United States. The site has far more readership every month than USAWS has a membership. Clearly there are a lot of people who can run a lot of balls but who do not belong to USAWS. That audience is harder to quantify.

• Supporting Member

You forgot -38.

I don't run -38 often, but I've done it once in a tournament and maybe a few dozen times in "tournament-like conditions." So I think I fall in between the top two categories. I sure as hell can't run -39 at any speed, so I know I'm not clicking that one!

Edit: Now I'm guessing you meant "pick the first statement that is true"? Might want to make that explicit.

@Than_Bogan‌ Yeah pick the first on that is true for you. Basically wanted to divide people up into can run the course, can ski well, and can ski REALLLY well. Not to say that -38 is easy compared to -39 or someting, but there had to be a line.

• Baller

There is a massive gap between options 2 & 3, I am by no means an athlete but ran into 32 mph after my first year in the course but 20 years later have still to run 32 off.

At a guess 90% of the skiers in the uk sit between options 2 & 3, I would have thought that running a pass at 28 off is one of the defining points in our sport.

Just my 2 cents

• Baller

What @Cam said.

The choices are about the equivalent of:

- I can run a marathon in under 2h 8m

- I can run a marathon in under 2h 20m

- I can run a marathon in under 4h 30m

- I run around for fun

A lot gets lost between 2 and 3 (and unless you happen to run 2h 14m, there's not that much distinction between 1 and 2)

I know there is, I just personally think those #'s represent where a "course skiier" and "really good skiier" cutoffs are.

If you are in pretty good physical shape you can basically stop and turn -28@34, but to ski -35 you have to have really good rhythm, and stack, so that is why I picked that cutoff.

If you think there is not much difference between running -32 and -39 I don't know what to tell you. Even the difference from the gate shot at -32 and -35 is HUGE, easily as much as the difference between running 30 mph and 34 mph.

At 36 mph only half of the skiiers that can run 32 nationwide and run 35. I think that says alot about how much harder the next line lenghts are.

• Baller

I voted with a little stretch.

I train the course a lot and have a few full 30 mph and a few bois on 32.

So yes I consider me a course skier even though I barley fit in to choice 3.

I am really happy that there is a BOS forum available!! Thanks @Horton and the admin-team!!

If feasible (?) I would be even more happy with BOS if there was a larger amount of hints, tips on how to progress better on my level.

It is enjoyable and some what useful to try to take after you really short line skiers tips and videos.

However, the gap from my skiing ability to folks running really short lines seems a bit too big for me to really pick out how I can progress faster.

Mean while I will continue to struggle with elbows to hip and stacked position to reach my goal to run full 32's and a few bois on 34 prior to end of season.

• Baller
I did not grow up on a ski lake or with a family boat. First time I ever skied behind a direct drive ski boat was 3 years ago. 2 years in the course total, currently at the start of a 1st full year at private lake with real skiers and currently making -22 passes at 34mph. goal 28-32 by the Oct, but -28 would be just fine given the amount of time have been skiing!!! ps I did not vote because you did not have the particulars that fit my group.

• Baller

That is a gigantic gap between 2 and 3. I feel like the categories are similar to "what car do you drive?" 1) pedal bike, 2) moped, 3) Ferrari, or 4) Formula 1. Maybe that's what you're going for...don't know. Maybe a lot of us are just butt hurt because we've been demoted back to noobie skier (haha) but I definitely feel like you're missing a lot of data.

@Horton My work doesn't block most forums, including this one, but it blocks logging in for some reason so any view from me during the day is going to be an anonymous view and it is work so I probably view the site multiple times a day but only read 1 thread or 1/2 of a thread at a time. The blocking is fairly new so it may just be work.

• Baller

@colo_skier‌ and @cragginshred‌

These polls might interest you?

(Still open for voting if you like =0)

At what age did you begin to ski (more seriously)?

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8277/at-what-age-did-you-begin-to-ski-more-seriously

How many sets did it take until first successful pass (all six)?

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8278/how-many-sets-did-it-take-until-first-sucessfull-pass-all-six

Definition of short line skier

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8779/definition-of-shortline-skier

• Baller

@colo_skier‌ and @cragginshred‌

There are a few polls that might interest you (and you can still answer them =0) ).

At what age did you begin to ski (more seriously)?

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8277/at-what-age-did-you-begin-to-ski-more-seriously

How many sets did it take until first successful pass (all six)?

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8278/how-many-sets-did-it-take-until-first-sucessfull-pass-all-six

Definition of short line skier

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8779/definition-of-shortline-skier