Vector boot feather frame fail

mikey

I ski on a Radar Senate with front vector boot on feather frame and RTP. Let my nephew ski on it this weekend and he had a bad crash that left him with a severe ankle sprain. Trashed my vector boot. Broke the feather frame in half up by the ball of foot. Tore away from 4 of the the six screws that secure binding to boot and ripped both sides of the stitching where boot is connected to feather frame. I'm thinking he had the binding on to tight. I had to jump in the water and get it off of him.... I've never had any problems with the binding when I ski with it. I usually ski with it on the loose side. Anyway, suggestions on what to replace it with are welcome. Should I replace with another Vector but go with the aluminum frame? Or try something else?

• Baller_
@mikey -The feather frame is recommended for purely recreational skiing, sorry to hear that your nephew had a bad crash. I'm sure your Radar dealer will recommend replacing with an aluminum plate, which is recommended for the more advanced skiers.

• Baller

A sprained ankle is better than a broken one or a torn achilles. Money well spent if the binding broke before a very serious injury. That's a good design when the equipment sacrifices itself for your body parts. I'd stick with the same binding - especially if the manufacturer helps you out.

Eric

• Baller

I hop he will twcover soon and you will get a new binding.

I have not seen that FF are not for advanced skiiers?

I have both AL plate and FF Vectors.

FF is so much lighter.

The attached instruction was to tight the bungy cord to type 30 lbs.

However, the picture was on the Strada boot ?

30 lbs feel like to much for me.

Any thoughts?

• Baller

@gsm_peter‌ I think they are saying the binding will work when tightened "up to" 30 lbs, but in my four years in Stradas (&RS-1), 30 lbs is way too tight. If you leave just a tiny bit of stretch in the laces, the release and support is about right, and that's closer to 10 lbs.

@mikey‌ Sorry to hear about your nephew. That must have sent the fun meter plunging.

Same thing happened to my wife. Aside from the ankle sprain. She was fine. She called Active Water Sports to find out if they had another set in stock and they suggested that they warranty the boots (very cool!) and then suggested we upgrade to the aluminum plate. She's happy and I am happy.

• Baller
Does the weight difference even mean anything? I would much rather have the strength and durability of a full aluminum plate, than save a little weight with a feather frame regardless of any skiing situation. I think the feather frame is a marketing tool geared towards people who assume anything "new" or "different" must be better. Radar and HO are doing this, I don't know about others but I would rather see R&D go into safety of a binding than a cool new "feature" that brings the weight down.

They are sending me a replacement as soon as I get them another pic with the warranty code written on boot. I did ask for the aluminum frame though. I won't be using a feather frame again. I like the Vector binding. Will feel safer with aluminum frame...