The end of my ski season

JohnCox

• Baller

Well, my season on the ski is done...Finally looked at my daughters pics yesterday (as usual, she took some GREAT ones). The first here is going in to 2 at 35 in round 2. At the end of the turn, I heard and felt a pop in my left arm...so, naturally just held on and pulled through the wakes. When I released off the wake going to 3 (next pic), I knew it was bad, so I just dropped the handle. For the record, I got 2.25@35 that round... :)

Surgery on Monday. Immobile for 3 weeks, nothing for 3 months. 3 more months of light activity. Done for 6 months on the ski.

But, I'm not gone. I'll stay in the boat coaching until I can drive, and then be there for that. Skiing was my catalyst to lose 80lbs....I cannot get big again.

• Baller
@JohnCox‌ again sorry to hear about your injury. You've worked incredibly hard and improve both your scores and your consistency. This is a setback but heal well and come back stronger than ever!

• Baller
I had the same injury half a dozen years ago. Popped mine muscling my dock into place in April. Missed the season. Spent the summer driving and bike training. Surgeon said this injury doesn't generally happen to people unless they have an already damaged tendon from injury or years of abuse. He suggested that my other tendon probably is also susceptible. Knock on wood no other problems since, but I assure you I don't curl 80 lb dumbbells anymore! Good luck with surgery and recovery @JohnCox.

Sorry to hear it. Your story of waterskiing saved your life is awesome. I hope you get back soon. (I also thought that should have won the video contest).

Speedy recovery.

• Baller

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments and support. @Texas6, the tendon at the base of my left bicep snapped. No doubt it was partially gone already (took a bad hit last Wednesday that I know now did some damage), because the connection off of 2 was not hard. That just was the last load it could take...

@Commuterfisher - great job! Keep that up! Food will be my challenge, but also that I cannot train in the gym like I want to. All the work I've put in to build some size and strength is going to fade a little..... One of my training partners has put together a basket of clean healthy food for my recovery so I might not eat junk...... And is insisting I come train them to keep me involved.

I won't let myself get away from it. I'll go to the gym and do what I can and train my regulars. I will ride and coach in the boat every chance I get (went twice this week). As soon as a can after surgery, I'll be driving, because I love to drive. I was supposed to ski at Little Mountain this coming weekend.....obviously I cannot do that, but if I'm up to it, I will go watch at least one day.

My goal this year was to run 38 in a tournament (since the ones in practice don't really count). That will have to wait until next season, I suppose.

I'll keep you guys posted.

• Baller
That sucks. I tend to struggle with food when I can't workout so I feel your pain. I am struggling with a shoulder right now and haven't skied yet. I am hoping I can find a way to get through the season.

• Baller
Hang in there John. Several years ago, I snapped my biceps tendon and tore my rotator cuff and labrum when I dislocated my shoulder while skiing. I was out for 9 months, but used my desire to get back on the water as incentive to rehab as intensely as possible. I ended up coming back in much better shape than I started, and PB'd the following season for the first time in many years. Work as hard during your rehab as you have while losing 80 lbs, and you will come back stronger than ever!