Getting Proper Glove Fit

Bill22

• Baller

I know glove style and fit preference can be as individual as finding the right ski.

You guys have any tips for a rookie to find gloves that don’t bunch up (or finding the right size to prevent bunching up)? I did my homework and read many threads and post about different gloves. I went with the 41 Tails because most of the post I read, people love them.

I ordered L and the fingers fit but they were way too tight on the thumb. I sent them back for XL. The XL felt great at first but skiing they bunch up. I can’t stand the bunching up and only used them for one freeride.

A few weeks later I talked to a Baller and his hands are almost exactly the same size as mine and he uses 41’s size M!! This seems crazy to me a glove would stretch almost two sizes. He said two things 1) they break in 2) always get gloves wet before you try them on (guess I'm the only one that did not know this).

Now I have skied with them and I am stuck with XL gloves that are too big. Should I try glove liners to prevent bunching or go with a different glove?

• Baller

BTW..I was using Accurate World Cup 3/4 M. I don’t like the 3/4 glove because they are hard to get off.

I liked the World Cup’s and may get a new pair that is full finger. The World Cups have a much thicker palm. I guess I would get adjusted to a thinner glove.

I am also looking at the Radar BOA, they may be easier to find the right fit.

• Baller

FWIW:

It took me a few pairs of gloves (6) until I found the right size and model.

Went from L to M to S to XS pending on brand.

Gave / sold off the wrong sizes.

I do not think you can put anything under to make them fit.

Ask if you can try the M for a ride and see what you think.

I changed to clincher style to save my hands (based on my wife complains)

Also use different models to slightly change 'wear and tear' on the hands

• Baller
I wear a S in ProGear and ML. You want them to almost not be able to get on when dry. This will prevent the bunching up. I know skiers like CP, Mapple, Fisher wear Medium gloves. It's really all personal preference.

• Baller
I bought some XL radars a few years ago. They were tight in the store. Then after a few weeks there so big there were falling off. I'm using Large 41 Tails with liners and they're nice and snug second pair (The palm strap came loose on them from the start). Get it tight, they will stretch.

• Baller

I agree that the Accurates can be a bit of a pain to remove - it would be nice if they added some loops on top the fingers. I have yet to find a set of full fingered gloves that fit my hands correctly - fingers are always way too short. In snow ski gloves I can get away with it by going to an XL glove since they don't need to be tight.

• Baller

You can avoid $90 for a spare by looking for last year close outs. Usually half price or less.

My advice on gloves is,because they change fit and materials often, if you find a pair you like buy a couple years supply while you can.

Advice on size, If you can put gloves on dry, their probably too big.

• Baller

@AB‌

Thanks. I did try the Radars and they didn't feel ok but I will try again.

I will wait on Masterline sales.

It ia a bit tricky since ML is not available in Sweden and I have to ask friends to bring back when traveling.

• Baller
I went from Large to Medium to Small in my first couple of skiing years. I wear small ever since, for most of the time ML leather palms but few years ago they change the fit and small became to small for me. So I have changed to D3 Customs and bought few pairs to last for a couple of seasons.. I cut the tip of the thumbs and they last longer( first time was difficult to use scissors on a new pair) unless I do that, gloves deteriorate at the thumbs long before the palms do.

• Baller
@Bill22 , ask to try a pair on in the store and make sure you can just barely get them on. Once home soak in warm/hot water and put them on. They will stretch out and fit like a "glove" It is an old hockey trick we used to use on skates before you could "bake" them.