Do not Use Automotive parts!

Jody_Seal

• Baller_

Automotive starter and HEI Distributor. Minor fuel leak at the filter canister and ........................................................................................................................... Boom!

Automotive ignition/electronic and fuel delivery parts are not ignition protected.

• Baller
From what I asked and what @Jody_Seal‌ confirmed. It was a starter and HEI Distributor that are not ignition protected. There is a reason that marine starter costs 3 times the automotive store one does.......... I saw this once on a lake as well. NOT WORTH SAVING MONEY to endanger your family and friends!

• Baller

@BraceMaker‌ Is the only difference in the carbs the j tube? If so, it's easy to use the j tube from the old carb in the automotive carb to convert it.

I also wonder what parts on the starter are different. I've seen a plate in marine starters that might not be there in auto starters - could you transfer that? I've successfully used auto bendix drives to rebuild a marine starter. There was also some silicone seal that needed replacement on the marine starter.

Using the right parts is always the best way. Doing the work right is also critical - no fuel leak, no fire.

Sorry for the accident and I hope everyone is safe.

Eric

• Baller
The only real difference in marine starters and alternators are the spark shields (think a piece of steel window screen). Easy to tell a marine alternator just by looking at it, I don't think you can tell just by looking at a starter - except that a marine starter has J1711 stamped on it.

• Baller

Marine carbs don't have the float sight holes either Makes finding the right float level a little harder but one less source for fuel to get out.

I like having the insurance of a fuel vapor detector. Mine is the Xintex Fireboy.

• Baller_

Not all Marine Carbs have "J" tubes. Marine Carter/Eddlebrock AFB, Mercruiser Q-Jets have designs that do not have "J" tubes. I also caution those that have their Starters rebuilt to question the rebuilder and look into their integrity. About the only starters I will have rebuilt in my area are odd things like bottom mount 302 Right hand, Top mount SBC/BBC Right hand and old stuff like HM weirdo starter's. Their are a Very few exceptions that are available automotive that can be utilized under the engine box in a closed environment. For example GT-40 distributors are very expensive from PCM And may soon be NLA however the same unit can be had through NAPA and utilized as long as the Correct sealed Cap is utilized.

Their are a lot of old boats still on the water finding their way into the hands of young enthusiasts that really have no clue .

@Waternut: That is not true! 750-850 Marine Holley's have the site holes !