Nano 1 biting in offside turn

Chef23

• Baller

I don't have any video but what are some of the ways to get a ski to bite less for the offside turn. I am on a 66.75" Nano 1 using a Strada front and RTP. My fin is as close to stock as I could get it using standard calipers. Front boot is 29.25, .705 head flat, 2.497 depth, 6.844 length and wing at 9.5.

I am thinking of trying the binding at 29.

• Baller
Might try emailing Dave Goode. I remember readng some comments that the N1 didn't always response to traditional adjustments. I had moved my boots back on my Strada a few years ago and it started biting more. Have you searched N1 threads here?

• Baller

@Chef23‌ video is really helpful, even if you don't want to go public with it. I say this because the tip-bite you're describing can come from either end of the ski, and it's not always easy to tell which end it is unless you can review your own video. And each behaviour requires different adjustments.

If you come around the ball and the tip digs in and the whole ski comes to an abrupt stop, that's too much tip engagement (could be the ski or could be you). If you come around the ball and the ski over-turns because the tail smears excessively then stops, that's probably not enough fin area or too much DFT for your technique.

If the problem only happens occasionally, the video can help you see what you are doing differently when it happens and can help you decide if it's the Indian or the arrow.

Any way you slice it, without video showing what you and the ski are doing, guessing becomes a total crap shoot.

Trying bindings back a bit is a good place to start. If it fixes the problem without messing up your on-side, or making the off-side too hard to turn, or making the ski ride too tip high, the fix might be that easy. It's certainly what I'd try first.

• Baller

I like to adjust bindings based in how the ski rides in the glide and how much ski is in the water when leveraging behind the boat. Video is always helpful to freeze frame and see exactly what is going on.

The usual suspects in your case would be too much length or not enough depth, only if I was guessing, which we are. I'd say try both and see which works better.

• Baller

I went with the easiest (for me) change and moved the bindings back. I skied a set on it this morning and it was much better. I am recovering from an injured shoulder and just running passes right now and I was able to run 32/22 and 34/22 without a problem. Once I am in better skiing shape and can start to go down the line I can figure out if I need to make other changes.

I want to say the binding might have been 29 3/8 before and it is 29 1/8 now.

Once I have been skiing a bit and can ski down the rope I will post some video.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

• Baller
From my own experience and the reason why I don't ride that ski any more is because of its tendency to bite if you are on the front of the ski going into the turn on the offside. I'm sure there are settings to reduce the tip pressure. Those settings also impact the skis' onside turn. Regardless, the way the bevels are designed gives that ski a tendency to have more of a pronounced tip bite characteristic. Obviously, there are lots of skiers that don't have a problem with it and ski very well on the ski. I skied well on it until I pushed it and found that the ski will stop on a dime which was not good on my ankles.

• Baller

This weekend was a disaster. In 2 rounds I made 1 pass. I skied better than this when I had been off for 17 years. I didn't run 34/22 in either round.

I am wondering if the N1is right for me. I can usually roll out in the spring and run 28. I have access to a Helix and I think I am going to give that a try.

• Supporting Member

Very surprising to me! I feel we some similar style elements and the thing suits me perfectly.

But if it feel that wrong at first, it may not be worth chasing it much further when there are lots of great skis out there these days.

• Baller
It may be just me but there just doesn't seem to be that much ski there. It may help me at 35 but right now I am having a tough time running passes. I did have a set last week that wasn't awful but still not as good as I have generally started the year on other skis.

• Baller

@Chef23 I know exactly how you feel. Once I decided it didn't fit my style I jumped on another ski and skied about the same number of buoys but with much great confidence. For me the main issue was about having confidence in the ski. I didn't feel like I could count on it to be predictable and do what I needed it to do.

My confidence was shot after struggling to make it work. For example I could not make a 22 off pass with the ski. I decided to slap my bindings on my ski partners ski and I ran up the line to 32 off the first set on his ski. That told me the N1 was not for me.