Dumb Reflex Question

Nando

• Baller
Okay, since pretty much the same question was asked about Strada bindings, I feel a little less stupid asking this, but what do most of you Reflex skiers do when you finish your runs. I made the switch last season (R-style rear, which just slips off) and have been just pulling my foot out and leaving the liner on, wearing it in the boat between runs like a goofy little slalom slipper. What's normal?

• Baller

The primary benefit of double hardshells is that after you fall in a tournament, you can walk back to the starting dock in your liners and protect your sensitive feet. I make quite a sight in my boots, my Goode vest with gloves dangling, ratty surf shirt, funky slalom ski (that is trying to float away like a helium balloon) and spandex shorts. Maybe this belongs in the $h*t Eric Lee says thread. I'm not always wearing socks and thongs.

Eric

• Baller
Reflex with R style. I pull my back foot out and drag it in the water. Found it keeps me from getting a wall of water over my head when I set. Then I push on the back of the ski and release my front boot. I feel that you can't store a spring under tension or it looses it's tension. I always store mine with liner in the Shell but off the ski.

• Baller
I could see getting in the boat with the boot and/or liner on but I certainly wouldn't wear the liner while sitting in the boat watching someone else ski. It wouldn't be comfortable for me but maybe if it were cold, it might be warmer that way. No judgement though IMO...if you want to wear your liners while others ski, it's like people who wear gloves between sets in my mind. Uncomfortable for me but if it makes you happy, who cares.

• Baller
I duck underwater when I drop at the end of a set and manually release the binder (I feel that it helps improve the life of the mechanism if I don't pop it). I then unbuckle the boot and leave it on until my next set. Normally I'm driving and need to get ready quickly for my next set, so leaving the boot on I can be ready in less than a minute. I think that's my favorite part of the reflex w/ rtp so far, just how fast and convenient it is compared to double boots.

• Baller
I've heard a few opinions on the concept of leaving the ski attached to the binding all the time. My opinion is...I also leave the binding on the ski 24/7, 365 days a year. At first it was because I didn't think about it. Then I started hearing people say how you shouldn't do that and I got to thinking. My conclusion was that nothing really wears out on these bindings very quickly but the plastic lip on a metal bar will wear before that enormous spring under minimal load. So again, I say do what makes you happy and you should be paying enough attention to your equipment that you should be able to detect a problem before it really becomes a problem.

• Baller

I take the boot off every time and when I go home I use my compressor air gun to dry the release, the buckles and fin box and then I spray them with thin silicone spray to prevent corrosion. I hate the looks of rusted components on my ski.

Bare in mind that corrosion can break the spring and it does not mater if you have your boot on or off, the load to the spring comes from the tension screw only.

After six years of use, my reflex looks like new (only the liner is in very bad shape), I have avoided boot wear by adding a level hose over the metal bar and a Teflon heel block. See image.

• Baller

I release my binding and get in the boat with it on my foot, then take it off in the boat. For my rear foot, I release my r-style and leave the liner on my foot until I'm in the boat.

Something that I've added to my r-style thick liner is a tightening cord. I stole this Idea from David West. It keeps the tongue against the foot and makes the r-style much more comfortable.

• Baller

@Deanoski‌ I have an other red one and a 400 new and a yellow slightly used. To my opinion 404 and 400 lock on the boot better than the newer ones. I know 404 breaks, it has happens to

me 3 times but after the first time I learned how to notice the signs that is going to break and both times I stopped skiing right before the yard sale ( maybe I was lucky)!

In the newer models the arms of the release are a lot stronger but the spring breaks and you are having yard sales without knowing why.

They now use a better coated spring in order to last longer.

I search the German eBay every winter and when I see a new or nearly new 404 I buy it.

To my opinion the best release is the Silvretta SL, it is plastic like the 404 but it has the cross bar welded higher on the straight part of the arms like the 400 and the quality of the spring is the same as the 404's.

It is hard to find one in new or newish condition but if you find a pair by them.

Alex